Cross-linear interplolation question

• Thread starter mattskie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the suction line pressure for a temperature of 72*F at an outdoor temperature of 92*F. The method suggested is cross-linear interpolation, which involves finding the intersection of two known lines and then using a bisecting line to determine the desired pressure. However, there may be an asymmetry since the equation involves both temperature and pressure. The link provided offers a clear explanation of the method, but the notation may be confusing. Further clarification or assistance may be needed to successfully apply this method.
mattskie
This is not a homework problem, but...

I am given the equation of two lines at different temperature gradients for (suction line temp,suction line pressure) => (x,y)
At outdoor temp 95*F; y=.41667x+54.1667
At outdoor temp 85*F; y=.4231x+50.3846

I need to find suction line pressure for 72*F temp (72,y) at 92*F outdoor temp

I believe the method is cross linear interpolation, how do i do this??

Methodology needed, i can handle the calculations. This was the closest I've found to a method, but the notation is confusing and I can't get it to work: http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath323/kmath323.htm

please and thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little surprised that the link you provide defines cross-linear interpolation as taking the bisecting line in the x-direction and 'ordinary' linear interpolation as doing it in the y direction. I'm not saying it's wrong (I've never heard of the term and cannot find an independent reference), it just sounds odd. Either way, you're treating x and y unequally.
If you have no basis for treating x and y differently, you could do it thus:
- find the point where the two known lines intersect.
- take the line through that point which cuts the angle in the ratio of the temperature differences.
E.g. if the angle between the two lines is 10 degrees then take the line that's (95-92)/(95-85)*10 degrees from the 95F line.
In the present case there may well be an asymmetry since x is also a temperature.
Anyway, the method in the link looks straightforward to me. If it's giving you a problem, please post your working.

What is cross-linear interpolation?

Cross-linear interpolation is a mathematical method used to estimate a value between two known data points. It involves drawing a straight line between the two points and finding the value at a specific point along that line.

How is cross-linear interpolation different from other interpolation methods?

Cross-linear interpolation differs from other methods in that it uses two data points on opposite sides of the desired value, rather than just one. This allows for a more accurate estimation.

When is cross-linear interpolation typically used?

Cross-linear interpolation is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications, such as in creating maps, estimating missing data points, and creating smooth curves from discrete data points.

What are the potential limitations of cross-linear interpolation?

One limitation of cross-linear interpolation is that it assumes a linear relationship between data points, which may not always be accurate. It also can only be used for data that is evenly spaced.

How can errors in cross-linear interpolation be minimized?

Errors in cross-linear interpolation can be minimized by using more data points, as well as using other interpolation methods in conjunction with cross-linear interpolation to verify the results.