Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross prod

1. May 2, 2005 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Simple question: is the cross product defined in R^n ? In my linear algebra textbook, they talk about the dot product in lenght but don't even mention the cross product.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2005 #2
    No, in general it is not (and cannot be) defined for [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]. An analogous product does exist in [itex]\mathbb{R}^7[/itex], though, constructed using the multiplication table for octonions.

4. May 2, 2005 #3

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No the cross product is only defined in R^3.

It's defintion doesn't lend itself well to generalizations other spaces of different dimenion (especially if you want a binary operation). Of course thta's not to say that generalizations are impossible.
    [tex]a\times b = \left|\begin{array}{ccc}\hat{x}&\hat{y}&\hat{z}\\a_x&a_y&a_z\\b_x&b_y&b_z\end{array}\right|[/tex]

Which matrix would you take the determinant of when n is not equal to 3?

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  5. May 2, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the easiest route to showing the equivalence of the algebraic and geometric definitions of the cross product?

6. May 2, 2005 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a fairly difficult problem in general. Usually they start with the geometric definition, then show that the cross-product is distributive: A X (B+C)=(A X B)+(A X C)
    Then you can derive the algebraic definition by writing the vectors out in components and use distributivity. Proving distributivity is not very easy, but certainly doable.

7. May 2, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The name "cross product" refers to the simple Euclidean 3D case.But since this "cross product" is nothing but a Hodge dual of a wedge product between two 1-forms,going to p-forms on arbitrary manifolds gives you the desired generalization...

Daniel.

8. May 2, 2005 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's exactly what I was trying. And I think I'm on the right track to proving distributivity. :cool:

9. May 2, 2005 #8

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good luck :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?