Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross product and vector space

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1

d_b

Hi everyone...

I just wanted to know if you compute a cross product of two vectors in R^3, do you get a vector in R^3 or an actual value(say both vectors have actually values)....

Another question. I did this in class but I wasn't sure how it would work. Let say I have a metrix 2x2. how do i check to see if a metrix {[a b(first row), c 1(bottom row)/ a,b,c in R], is a vector space?

now If i'm not wrong it isn't a vector space because if fail the second axiom (addition between 2 vectors) but my TA said it is a vector space...so could you guys show me how it is a vector space??

thank you.... :D

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

You get a vector which is perpendicular to both. Cross product of 2 vectors yield another vector.

I don't see how it's a vector space either. As you said, adding two of these matrices (in the standard way of matrix addition since you didn't specify the vector additive operation) yield a matrix whose bottom right entry is 2, which clearly doesn't belong to the set.

4. Sep 27, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "an actual value". The cross product of two vectors in R3 is a vector in R3 which, in my opinion, is an "actual value"! If, by "actual value" you mean a number (scalar) then the answer is no, you get a vector in R3.

Perhaps, when you say "both vectors have actual values" you mean the "absolute value" or length of the vector. The formula you often see, "[itex]|u||v|sin(\theta)[/itex]", is not for the cross product but only the length of the cross product. The cross product of two vectors, u x v, is a vector in R3 having that number as length. The direction is perpendicular to both, using the "right hand rule", so that u x v is the opposite direction to v x u.

"matrix", not "metrix".

You are asking if the set of all matrices of the form
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & c \\ b & 1\end{array}\right][/tex]
    form a vector space with the usual operations?

No, it doesn't because, as you say, the sum of two such matrices is not of that form. However, if [itex]a\ne bc[/itex] it does form a vector space with matrix multiplication as operation.

5. Sep 28, 2008 #4

d_b

hm....guess i have to go talk to my ta then. For the cross product, yes I did mean to say the absolute value. Thanks for clearing that up for me... :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?