Calculating Work and Initial Displacement with Cross Product

In summary, this person is trying to figure out how much work is done when a force is applied to move a object. They are having difficulty with two questions related to the cross product. The first question is how much work is done when the force is applied, and the second question is how to find the initial displacement.
Failure007
Hey guys, I normally don't use forums for help but I've been stuck on these questions for some time now and I just want to see if there's anyone out there who can set me in the right direction. These questions are from a grade 12 Calculus and Vectors class and they relate to the cross product.

1. How much work is done by a force, in Newtons, represented by the vector F = (4, 7, 1) if it results in a displacement, in metres, represented by the vector delta(I'm assuming it's delta but the symbol is really small) S = (5, 3, 8).

2.If vectors A and B are perpendicular and A = (4, – 4, 8) and
B = (5, k, 2k), find k.

For the first one I tried applying the cross product to make a new vector until I remembered that finding the Work for F and the new vector would result in a dot product of 0, because of the fact that cross products are perpendicular to both vectors. After realizing it wouldn't work I tried calculating the distance between the vectors but this didn't help either. I'm stumped on both of these and any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually they are related to the dot product.

Work is F.s

No need to use the cross-product

So if I multiplied [4, 7, 1]*[5,3,8] and got 49 as my dot product, then that's how much work is needed to result delta S = [5, 3, 8]? Why would they even mention the delta in the first place, because that's the only reason I assumed this question was difficult...

Failure007 said:
So if I multiplied [4, 7, 1]*[5,3,8] and got 49 as my dot product, then that's how much work is needed to result delta S = [5, 3, 8]? Why would they even mention the delta in the first place, because that's the only reason I assumed this question was difficult...

No idea about the delta, but the dot product gives a scalar, while cross-pdt gives a vector. Work is a scalar so, the only way to get the amt of work done would be to find the dot-product.

Failure007 said:

What do you mean "mention the delta"? I presume what you had was [itex]\delta S= [5, 3, 8][/itex] or [itex]\Delta S= [5, 3, 8][/itex]. They use the notation [itex]\delta S[/itex] or [itex]\Delta S[/itex] because it implies a change in S which is what is necessary to do work: Force applied to move something- to change its position.

Sorry, I didn't know how to include the triangle in the question so I just called it delta, but what I was having trouble with was finding the work to move from the initial displacement to the delta displacement. So basically I figured there was an initial displacement vector that I had to find, but the only way I knew of creating a vector given two vectors is through the cross product. Does anyone know how to find the initial displacement?

What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to create a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is also known as a vector product.

How do you calculate a cross product?

To calculate a cross product, you first need to find the magnitude of both vectors. Then, take the first vector and multiply it by the sine of the angle between the two vectors. Finally, take the second vector and multiply it by the cosine of the angle between the two vectors. The resulting vector will be the cross product.

What is the purpose of a cross product?

The purpose of a cross product is to find a vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate torque, magnetic fields, and angular momentum.

Can a cross product be negative?

Yes, a cross product can be negative. The direction of the resulting vector is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the cross product and the fingers curl in the direction of the two original vectors. If the resulting vector points in the opposite direction, it will have a negative value.

What are some real-world applications of cross products?

Cross products have various applications in the real world, such as calculating the torque on a rotating object, determining the direction of a magnetic field, and finding the angular velocity of a spinning object. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D images and in navigation systems to determine the orientation of an object.