1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross product in spherical coordinates.

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i am trying to solve for the magnetic torque a circular loop of radius R exerts on a square loop of side length b a distance r away. The circular loop has a normal vector towards the positive z axis, the square loop has a normal towards the +y axis. The current is I in both loops.(Griffiths question 6.1)

2. Relevant equations
    I used a dipole approximation and found the magnetic vector potential of the circular loop. I then took the curl of this in spherical coordinates and found an expression for B1, the magnetic field due to the loop. I know the torque exerted on the square loop is m2 X B1, where m2 is the magnetic dipole moment of the square (m2 = Ib^2 y)

3. The attempt at a solution
    B1 = curl(A) =( u_0(m1) /(4 *pi* r^3) ) {2cosθ r + sinθ vartheta }
    m1 = I(pi)R^2 z.

In order to take the curl, I switched B1 to cartesian coordinates. This is where I believed i made my mistake... I just used the following relationships:
    x = Rcos[itex]\phi[/itex]sin[itex]\theta[/itex]
    (for r I used the r component of B1, that is, R = u_0(m1) /(4 *pi* r^3) ) *2cosθ )
    [itex]\phi [/itex] is 0 here because there is no [itex]\phi[/itex] component of B1.

y = 0 since sin([itex]\phi[/itex] is 0.

z = R cos [itex]\vartheta[/itex]

Now i just cross m2 = <0,Ib^2,0> with B1 using its components found above. However, my answer is incorrect. (The book uses the coordinate free form of B_dip in its solution, but I am trying to understand how to convert my expression for B1 from spherical to Cartesian coordinates.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?