Finding Vectors for Cross Product Problem - Explanation and Solution

In summary, by solving the cross product <1,2,1> X v = <3,1,-5>, we can determine that there are an infinite number of vectors v that satisfy the equation, as there is one arbitrary variable. However, in the case of <1,2,1> X v = <3,1,5>, there is no solution as the three equations are not independent.
JNBirDy

Homework Statement

i) Find all vectors v such that <1,2,1> X v = <3,1,-5>

ii) Explain why there is no vector v such that <1,2,1> X v = <3,1,5>

Homework Equations

a X b = <a[itex]_{2}[/itex]b[itex]_{3}[/itex] - a[itex]_{3}[/itex]b[itex]_{2}[/itex], a[itex]_{3}[/itex]b[itex]_{1}[/itex] - a[itex]_{1}[/itex]b[itex]_{3}[/itex], a[itex]_{1}[/itex]b[itex]_{2}[/itex] - a[itex]_{2}[/itex]b[itex]_{1}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

i)
<1,2,1> X v
= <2v[itex]_{3}[/itex] -v[itex]_{2}[/itex], v[itex]_{1}[/itex] - v[itex]_{3}[/itex], v[itex]_{2}[/itex] - 2v[itex]_{1}[/itex]>

Which leaves me with three equations:
2v[itex]_{3}[/itex] -v[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 3
v[itex]_{1}[/itex] - v[itex]_{3}[/itex] = 1
v[itex]_{2}[/itex] - 2v[itex]_{1}[/itex] = -5

Now, every time I try to fiddle with them, I end up with 0 = 0.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Express v2 from the first equation and v1 from the second one. v3 cancels when you substitute for v1 and v2 in the third equation, and you get -5=-5. This means that the three equations are not independent, and you have two equations for three variables: one variable is arbitrary.

ehild

ehild said:
Express v2 from the first equation and v1 from the second one. v3 cancels when you substitute for v1 and v2 in the third equation, and you get -5=-5. This means that the three equations are not independent, and you have two equations for three variables: one variable is arbitrary.

ehild

Ah, yes, I think I get it now. For some reason I was thinking that I needed to get actual numbers.

Thanks.

1. What is the cross product?

The cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a third vector that is perpendicular (or orthogonal) to both of the input vectors. It is denoted by the symbol "x" and is also known as the vector product.

2. How is the cross product calculated?

The cross product is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix. The first row of the matrix contains the unit vectors (i, j, k), the second row contains the components of the first vector, and the third row contains the components of the second vector. The result is a vector with three components, representing the x, y, and z coordinates of the cross product.

3. What is the purpose of the cross product?

The cross product has many applications in physics and engineering, including calculating torque, determining the direction of magnetic fields, and finding the normal vector of a plane. It is also used in computer graphics to calculate lighting and shading effects.

4. Can the cross product be negative?

Yes, the cross product can be negative. The direction of the resulting vector is determined by the right-hand rule, so if the two input vectors are pointing in opposite directions, the cross product will be negative.

5. What is the difference between the cross product and the dot product?

The cross product and the dot product are both mathematical operations involving vectors, but they have different results. The cross product produces a vector that is perpendicular to the input vectors, while the dot product produces a scalar (a single number). Additionally, the cross product is not commutative (changing the order of the input vectors changes the result), while the dot product is commutative.