1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross product vectors problem

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    a and b are two vectors and x is the angle between them.

||axb|| = ||a||||b||sinx ------(1)
    ||axb|| = ||a||||b||||sinx|| ------(2)

which one is correct? why?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. That is one definition of cross product.

4. Aug 6, 2013 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

x is the smallest angle between vectors a and b. You should convince yourself that this implies both forms are equivalent.

5. Aug 6, 2013 #4
    if x is the smallest angle between a and b, when n is the unit vector perpendicular to both a and b,

axb = ||axb||n

am i correct?

6. Aug 6, 2013 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Your first one is correct :

##||axb|| = ||a|| ||b|| sin(θ)##

7. Aug 6, 2013 #6

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes

I think the OP also wanted to know why. I would say the two forms are equivalent. What is your argument for why the other form is incorrect?

8. Aug 6, 2013 #7
    if two forms are equivalent then ||sinx||= sinx (where x is the smallest angle between a and b)
    how can you explain this?

9. Aug 6, 2013 #8

CAF123

Gold Member

Given that x is the smallest angle between a and b what is the possible values of x?

10. Aug 6, 2013 #9

lurflurf

Homework Helper

This has to do with what values of x we allow. We need the absolute value if we are to allow x such that sin x<0

11. Aug 6, 2013 #10
    assume x= 11∏/6 , then smallest angle between a and b ∏/6, but when applying it to x it should be -∏/6. shouldn't it? (if it shouldn't then why?)

are ||sin(-∏/6)|| and sin(-∏/6) equivalent?

12. Aug 6, 2013 #11

CAF123

Gold Member

No, x is restricted to lie within the interval ##[0, \pi]##. Check your book. This condition will come with the definition of cross product.

13. Aug 6, 2013 #12

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Who cares if x is in [0,pi) or not. We have |sin x| if sin x is already positive sin x will do.

14. Aug 6, 2013 #13

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, so if ##x \in [0,\pi]## then ##|a \times b| = |a| |b| \sin x## since sin x is positive. If x is not in this interval, then ##|a \times b| = |a| |b| |\sin x|## (the magnitude of ##a\times b## is not negative so we take the modulus of sin x)

In any book I have read, they put the condition that x is in [0,π], so you see it written ##|a \times b| = |a| |b| \sin x## more commonly.

15. Aug 6, 2013 #14
    According to the way of my thinking ||axb|| = ||a||||b||sinx is enough to represent magnitude of axb for all x angle.

let n be an unit vector perpendicular to both a and b vectors. therefore we get,

||axb|| = || ||a||||b||sinx n ||

when x > 0, ||axb|| = ||a||||b||sinx ||n||
    since ||n|| = 1 , ||axb|| = ||a||||b||sinx

when x<0, ||axb|| = || ||a||||b||sin(-x) n || = ||a||||b||sinx ||-n|| (with right hand rule)
    since ||-n|| = 1 , ||axb|| = ||a||||b||sinx

although the other form (2) gives the same magnitude, it is theoretically incorrect.
    and only this imaginary of mine is not confusing me. I wanna know does this really happen there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook