Understanding the Correct Representation of the Cross Product of Vectors

In summary, there are two forms for representing the magnitude of the cross product of vectors a and b, one being ||axb|| = ||a||||b||sinx and the other being ||axb|| = ||a||||b||||sinx||. Both forms are equivalent, but the first form is more commonly used as it takes into consideration the restriction that x must be in the interval [0,π]. The second form is theoretically incorrect as it does not consider this restriction.
phydis
a and b are two vectors and x is the angle between them.

||axb|| = ||a||||b||sinx ------(1)
||axb|| = ||a||||b||||sinx|| ------(2)

which one is correct? why?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1. That is one definition of cross product.

x is the smallest angle between vectors a and b. You should convince yourself that this implies both forms are equivalent.

Likes 1 person
if x is the smallest angle between a and b, when n is the unit vector perpendicular to both a and b,

axb = ||axb||n

am i correct?

phydis said:
a and b are two vectors and x is the angle between them.

||axb|| = ||a||||b||sinx ------(1)
||axb|| = ||a||||b||||sinx|| ------(2)

which one is correct? why?

Your first one is correct :

##||axb|| = ||a|| ||b|| sin(θ)##

phydis said:
if x is the smallest angle between a and b, when n is the unit vector perpendicular to both a and b,

axb = ||axb||n

am i correct?

Yes

Zondrina said:
Your first one is correct :

##||axb|| = ||a|| ||b|| sin(θ)##

I think the OP also wanted to know why. I would say the two forms are equivalent. What is your argument for why the other form is incorrect?

Likes 1 person
CAF123 said:
I think the OP also wanted to know why. I would say the two forms are equivalent. What is your argument for why the other form is incorrect?

if two forms are equivalent then ||sinx||= sinx (where x is the smallest angle between a and b)
how can you explain this?

phydis said:
if two forms are equivalent then ||sinx||= sinx (where x is the smallest angle between a and b)
how can you explain this?

Given that x is the smallest angle between a and b what is the possible values of x?

This has to do with what values of x we allow. We need the absolute value if we are to allow x such that sin x<0

CAF123 said:
Given that x is the smallest angle between a and b what is the possible values of x?

assume x= 11∏/6 , then smallest angle between a and b ∏/6, but when applying it to x it should be -∏/6. shouldn't it? (if it shouldn't then why?)

are ||sin(-∏/6)|| and sin(-∏/6) equivalent?

phydis said:
assume x= 11∏/6 , then smallest angle between a and b ∏/6, but when applying it to x it should be -∏/6. shouldn't it?
No, x is restricted to lie within the interval ##[0, \pi]##. Check your book. This condition will come with the definition of cross product.

Who cares if x is in [0,pi) or not. We have |sin x| if sin x is already positive sin x will do.

lurflurf said:
Who cares if x is in [0,pi) or not. We have |sin x| if sin x is already positive sin x will do.

Yes, so if ##x \in [0,\pi]## then ##|a \times b| = |a| |b| \sin x## since sin x is positive. If x is not in this interval, then ##|a \times b| = |a| |b| |\sin x|## (the magnitude of ##a\times b## is not negative so we take the modulus of sin x)

In any book I have read, they put the condition that x is in [0,π], so you see it written ##|a \times b| = |a| |b| \sin x## more commonly.

According to the way of my thinking ||axb|| = ||a||||b||sinx is enough to represent magnitude of axb for all x angle.

let n be an unit vector perpendicular to both a and b vectors. therefore we get,

||axb|| = || ||a||||b||sinx n ||

when x > 0, ||axb|| = ||a||||b||sinx ||n||
since ||n|| = 1 , ||axb|| = ||a||||b||sinx

when x<0, ||axb|| = || ||a||||b||sin(-x) n || = ||a||||b||sinx ||-n|| (with right hand rule)
since ||-n|| = 1 , ||axb|| = ||a||||b||sinx

although the other form (2) gives the same magnitude, it is theoretically incorrect.
and only this imaginary of mine is not confusing me. I want to know does this really happen there?

What is a cross product vector?

A cross product vector is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors. It is also known as a vector product.

How do you calculate the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors can be calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix formed by the two input vectors and the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions. The resulting vector is perpendicular to both input vectors and its direction can be determined using the right-hand rule.

What is the physical significance of the cross product vector?

The cross product vector has several physical applications, including calculating torque and angular momentum in physics, determining magnetic fields in electromagnetism, and calculating the direction of fluid flow in fluid mechanics.

How does the cross product differ from the dot product?

The cross product and dot product are two different mathematical operations involving vectors. While the dot product results in a scalar (a single number), the cross product results in a vector. Additionally, the dot product measures the similarity between two vectors, while the cross product measures their perpendicularity.

What are some common uses of the cross product vector in science and engineering?

In addition to the applications mentioned above, the cross product vector is also used in computer graphics to calculate lighting and shading effects, in robotics to determine joint angles and movements, and in navigation and geolocation to calculate orientation and direction.