Understanding the Meaning and Importance of Cross Product in Rotational Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of cross products in rotational motion and the mathematical way it is defined. The participants also discuss the geometric meaning and the usefulness of cross products in calculations. They also mention the unit vector in the azimuthal direction and its relation to the azimuthal angle. One participant shares a link to a geometrical proof of the cross product and the other participant inquires about the origin of the username "cristo."
Haywire

I didn't use the template, because I am not having difficulties with a problem.

I am just starting to study rotational motion and there it appears the cross-product. I don't like to memorize formulae that I don't understand it's meaning.

Why is [tex]\vec a \times \vec b}[/tex] defined mathematically the way it is. Is there some trick to memorize?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's defined that way because it's useful.

If it helps, cross products are almost just like ordinary multiplication: if we write the standard basis vectors as i, j, and k, then all you need to know to compute a cross product is that

[tex]\begin{equation*}\begin{split}
i \times i = j \times j = k \times k = 0 \\
i \times j = k \\
j \times k = i \\
k \times i = j \\
j \times i = -k \\
k \times j = -i \\
i \times k = -j
\end{split}\end{equation*}[/tex]

(which is pretty easy to memorize), and that you can apply the distributive rule. (but not the associative rule, or the commutative rule!)

One geometric meaning to a cross products relates to perpendicularity -- you can already see that in the above identities. Another geometric meaning to the cross product of v and w is the "area" of the parallelogram with sides v and w, represented as a vector perpendicular to both v and w.

Arg, I remember asking this question a while ago. It is NOT "defined that way because it's useful"...grrrrr. There is a GEOMETRICAL PROOF for why it works.

Here, I found it. Ta- DAAA:

http://www.math.oregonstate.edu/bridge/papers/dot+cross.pdf

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your help. It is much more clear now for me. :)

What can you tell me about this unit vector [itex]\vec e_\theta[/itex]? Sorry, for the double post.

Haywire said:
What can you tell me about this unit vector [itex]\vec e_\theta[/itex]? Sorry, for the double post.

Check out : http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html There's a good pic here, and the equations for the unit vectors. Note that [tex]
\bold{e_\theta} \equiv \bold{\hat{\theta}} [/tex].

Why is the direction of [tex]
\bold{\hat{\theta}} [/tex] that one?

Haywire said:
Why is the direction of [tex]
\bold{\hat{\theta}} [/tex] that one?

Since [itex]\theta[/itex] is the azimuthal angle, then [itex]\bold{\hat{\theta}}[/itex] is the unit vector in the azimuthal direction. You can think of it in the same way as, say, [itex]\bold{\hat{x}}[/itex] is the unit vector in the direction of the x axis, then [itex]\bold{\hat{\theta}}[/itex] is the unit vector in the direction of the azimuthal "axis." Since [itex]\theta[/itex] is the azimuthal angle, the unit vector is thus the tangent vector in the direction of the azimuthal angle.

Thank you cristo! I can see it now.

Is your username some reference of The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas ?

Haywire said:
Thank you cristo! I can see it now.

Is your username some reference of The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas ?

You're welcome. Haha, no my username is my nickname, derived from my surname. I prefer your version though- sounds more sophisticated!

What is all this talk of memorization? Just use the right hand rule and determinants. Cross-products involve no memorization.

1. What is the cross product in rotational motion?

The cross product in rotational motion is a mathematical operation that determines the vector perpendicular to two given vectors. It is used to calculate the torque, or rotational force, acting on an object.

2. How do you calculate the cross product?

The cross product is calculated by taking the magnitude of the first vector, multiplying it by the magnitude of the second vector, and then multiplying the result by the sine of the angle between the two vectors. This value is then multiplied by a unit vector perpendicular to both vectors in order to determine the direction of the resulting vector.

3. Why is the cross product important in rotational motion?

The cross product is important in rotational motion because it allows us to determine the direction and magnitude of the torque acting on an object. This is crucial in understanding how an object will rotate and how much force is needed to produce a certain amount of rotation.

4. How does the cross product relate to angular momentum?

The cross product is closely related to angular momentum as it is used to calculate the change in angular momentum of an object. When a torque is applied to an object, it causes it to accelerate and thus change its angular momentum. The direction of the resulting vector from the cross product also determines the direction of the change in angular momentum.

5. Can the cross product be applied to any type of motion?

No, the cross product is specifically used in rotational motion. It cannot be applied to linear motion as it only applies to vectors that are perpendicular to each other. For linear motion, the dot product is used instead.