How to Find \vec{b} in a Cross Product Problem?

In summary, To find a vector b given a and c, the vector b must be perpendicular to both a and c. This means that the cross product of a and c, a x c, will give us the vector b.
FrankJ777
I have a question about solving a problem involving a cross product. I understand how to find [tex]\vec{a}[/tex] X [tex]\vec{b}[/tex] = [tex]\vec{c}[/tex], but if [tex]\vec{a}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{c}[/tex] are given how do I find [tex]\vec{b}[/tex]? Is there something I can do analogous to c/a =b? I've been reviewing my old calc III and linear algebra notes, but I havn't been able to figure it out. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Given a and c, there are several possible vectors b such that a x b = c. They all lie in the plane perpendicular to c.

do you know how to find a vector that is perpendicular to another vector?

a x c = b

since b is a vector that is perpendicular to both a and c .. :-D

1. What is the definition of cross product?

The cross product, also known as vector product, is a mathematical operation between two vectors that results in a new vector that is perpendicular to both input vectors.

2. How is cross product different from dot product?

The dot product yields a scalar value, while the cross product yields a vector value. Additionally, the dot product is commutative, whereas the cross product is anti-commutative.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of cross product?

The cross product can be interpreted as the area of the parallelogram formed by the two input vectors, with the direction of the resulting vector being perpendicular to the plane of the parallelogram.

4. How is the cross product calculated?

The cross product is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix, with the first row being the unit vectors i, j, and k, the second row being the components of the first vector, and the third row being the components of the second vector.

5. What are some real-world applications of cross product?

Cross product has various applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate torque, magnetic fields, and 3D rotations, among other things.