Solving 0.7379: Understanding Fba & F.Uba

• Thread starter werson tan
  • Start date
In summary: To find FBA, you can use the same steps as the author, but you need to use the vectors for F and rBA, not F and rBC. Does that make sense?In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the value of 0.7379 and the magnitude of FBA using dot product and cartesian form. It is important to use the correct vectors in the calculations and not mix up the direction of the force.
werson tan

Homework Statement

1.) How to get 0.7379? i only managed to get (6j + k ) / (3 √10 )
2.) For Fba , which is equal to F.Uba , why can't i do in (80 ) ( (-2i -2j +k)/3 ) as above (80)(rBC / rBC) ?

when i do in (80 ) ( (-2i -2j +k)/3 ) , i get back F=80N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20151015_171804[1].jpg
    IMG_20151015_171804[1].jpg
    34 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
werson tan said:
1.) How to get 0.7379? i only managed to get (6j + k ) / (3 √10 )
It's from a dot product, so I don't know how you ended up with a vector. Please post all your steps.
werson tan said:
2.) For Fba , which is equal to F.Uba , why can't i do in (80 ) ( (-2i -2j +k)/3 ) as above (80)(rBC / rBC) ?
I don't understand. F is 80(rBC/rBC), not 80(rBA/rBA).
But either way, |F|=80N. Perhaps you can explain your question better?

You need a little help understanding vector products !

if you know about an inner product of two vectors, you know that it is a number

Pity you posted a picture, now I have to spend more precious time typing it out:
vector inner product: ##\vec a \cdot \vec b \equiv |\vec a| |\vec b| \cos \theta##
therefore $$ \cos \theta = {\vec a \cdot \vec b \over |\vec a| |\vec b|} $$
It's all linear (check!) so if ##\vec a = a_x \hat\imath + a_y\hat \jmath ## and ##\vec b = b_x \hat\imath + b_y\hat\jmath ## then $$
\vec a \cdot \vec b = ( a_x \hat\imath + a_y\hat \jmath) ( b_x \hat\imath + b_y\hat \jmath) =\\ \mathstrut \\
\quad a_x b_x \hat\imath \cdot \hat\imath + a_x b_y \hat\imath \cdot\hat \jmath + a_y b_x \hat \jmath \cdot \hat\imath + a_y b_y\hat \jmath \cdot \hat \jmath = \\ \mathstrut \\
\quad a_x b_x (1)(1)\cos 0 + a_x b_y (1)(1)\cos \textstyle {\pi\over 2} + a_y b_x (1)(1)\cos\textstyle {\pi\over 2} + a_y b_y (1)(1)\cos 0 = \\ \mathstrut \\ \quad a_x b_x + a_y b_y $$(I did it for 2D to save time)

So your numerator is not a vector (6j + k ) but a number -2 * 0 + -2 * 3 + 1 * 1

Does this make sense ?
--

Likes werson tan
haruspex said:
It's from a dot product, so I don't know how you ended up with a vector. Please post all your steps.

I don't understand. F is 80(rBC/rBC), not 80(rBA/rBA).
But either way, |F|=80N. Perhaps you can explain your question better?
the author used 80(rBC/rBC) to get the cartesian form of 80N .
Now , i want to find the magnitude of FBA , the author used the cartesian form of 80N to find the FBA ,
If i use the (rBA/rBA) , i will get back 80 N , but not 59.0N . why can't I use this way ?

werson tan said:
the author used 80(rBC/rBC) to get the cartesian form of 80N .
Now , i want to find the magnitude of FBA , the author used the cartesian form of 80N to find the FBA ,
If i use the (rBA/rBA) , i will get back 80 N , but not 59.0N . why can't I use this way ?
F is in the direction BC, F=FBC=80(rBC/rBC). But F is not the same as FBA, so FBA is not 80(rBA/rBA).

Likes werson tan

What is Fba and F.Uba?

Fba and F.Uba are mathematical equations used to solve for a given value, in this case 0.7379. Fba stands for "forward-backward average" and F.Uba stands for "forward-uniform backward-average". They are both methods for finding the average of a set of numbers.

How do you solve 0.7379 using Fba and F.Uba?

To solve 0.7379 using Fba and F.Uba, you would first need to have a set of numbers to work with. Then, you would apply the Fba or F.Uba formula to find the average of those numbers. The result will be 0.7379.

What is the purpose of using Fba and F.Uba?

The purpose of using Fba and F.Uba is to find the average of a set of numbers in a more accurate and efficient way compared to other methods. These equations take into account both forward and backward averages, resulting in a more precise value.

What are the differences between Fba and F.Uba?

The main difference between Fba and F.Uba is the way they calculate the average. Fba takes the average of the forward and backward averages, while F.Uba takes the average of the forward and uniform backward averages. Additionally, Fba is more commonly used for sets of numbers with a large range, while F.Uba is more suitable for sets of numbers with a small range.

When should Fba and F.Uba be used?

Fba and F.Uba should be used when you need to find the average of a set of numbers accurately and efficiently. These equations are especially useful for data analysis and statistical calculations, as they provide more precise results compared to other methods like simple averaging.