1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Cross product

1. May 6, 2016 #1
    Is there any proof for the matrixx formula of the cross product. I am asking this because I have seen many videos and they have used the matrixx formula and then proved that ||A X B|| = ||A|||B||sin(theta), khan academy also used the same method

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by "matrixx formula"?

4. May 6, 2016 #3

jedishrfu

The matrix formula aka the cross product determinant is more of a mnemonic device to help you compute the cross product in a Cartesian coordinate system.

from wikipedia (see the matrix notation and the Sarrus' Rule:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product

5. May 6, 2016 #4
    See jedishrfu answer

6. May 6, 2016 #5

jedishrfu

7. May 6, 2016 #6

Mark44

Sorry, this isn't the definition of the cross product A x B. It's the definition of the magnitude or norm of A x B; i.e., |A x B|.
    In the pdf in the link, the author never gives a geometric definition of the cross product. This product could be defined as A x B = (|A||B| sin(θ)) u, where u is a unit vector that is perpendicular to both A and B. The orientation of u can be determined using the right-hand rule (i.e., if you let the fingers of your right hand curl around from A to B, your thumb will point in the direction of u).

8. May 6, 2016 #7

jedishrfu

My apologies I forgot to mention that the resultant vector is perpendicular to both A and B and follows the right-hand rule for direction as determined via rotation from A to B.

Alas, still learning what I forgot and forgetting what I've I've relearned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted