Cross products- how to determine the angle?

In summary, the momentum of the pool ball is always perpendicular to its radius, so the cross product can be simplified to sin90 regardless of where it is struck. The point of contact does not affect this.
wu7
Consider the following problem:
You strike a pool ball (radius R) at some height h above the table, so that it immediately rolls without slipping.
At what height h should you strike it?

I worked out the problem and got 1.4R, which is indeed the answer.

However, at one point I made the assumption that I0ω = Δp*(h-R)*sin90.
As in, the momentum is perpendicular to the radius, so the cross product is just times 1.

I don't understand why sin90 is acceptable. By that logic, you could hit the pool ball anywhere horizontally, and it would be perpendicular to some R. what R? In this case it seems to be the R which is vertical.

I thought you had to take the cross product at the point of contact- and use the radius which goes from the center to that point of contact. THEN cross that with the horizontal force.

I know this is the way you're supposed to do it with a rotating stick- why not with a sphere?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer I got is correct, but I'm wondering why my assumption is acceptable.The reason why your assumption is acceptable is that the momentum of the ball is perpendicular to its radius. Therefore, no matter where you strike it, the momentum is always perpendicular to the radius of the ball. Thus, the cross product of the momentum and the radius of the ball will always be the same, so you can just simplify it to sin90. The point of contact isn't really relevant in this case.

1. What is a cross product and how is it different from a dot product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a new vector perpendicular to both of the input vectors. It is different from a dot product, which produces a scalar value and measures the projection of one vector onto another.

2. How do you calculate the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors, a and b, can be calculated using the following formula: a x b = |a||b|sin(θ)n, where |a| and |b| are the magnitudes of the vectors, θ is the angle between them, and n is a unit vector perpendicular to both a and b.

3. How do you determine the direction of the cross product?

The direction of the cross product is determined by the right-hand rule. If you curl the fingers of your right hand from vector a towards vector b, your thumb will point in the direction of the resulting cross product vector.

4. Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

No, the angle between two vectors is always positive. However, the resulting cross product vector may have a negative magnitude, indicating that it is pointing in the opposite direction from what was expected.

5. How can I use cross products to determine the angle between two vectors?

You can use the cross product formula to solve for the angle between two vectors: θ = sin-1(|a x b| / (|a||b|)). This will give you the magnitude of the angle, and you can use the right-hand rule to determine the direction.