Solving Cross Product w/ Determinants: Setting Up Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding the cross product form |a||b|sin(theta) and its component form (a1b2 - a2b1). The conversation also explores the use of determinants in solving equations involving the component form and the definition of the cross product using unit vectors. The conversation ends with a debate on the historical use of vectors in physics and alternative methods that may have been used before their invention.
danny271828
I'm having trouble relating the cross product form |a||b|sin(theta) to its component form (a1b2 - a2b1) ... and so on... I know how to do this mathematically so please don't just suggest some proof that I can find in every textbook... The component form involves the solutions to equations using determinants I believe... I was wondering if anyone could get me going in the right direction as far as setting up a set of equations to solve in order to arrive at this component form... I know I have seen this somewhere but cannot find the right book... So I guess you could say I'm trying to setup the right question, in other words, is there a set of equations for 2 vectors in a plane that can be solved via determinants in order to arrive at this component form for the cross product? I'm having a little trouble stating the question even...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I guess another way of what I am asking is - is there any way to arrive at the component form of the cross product without knowing it is equal to absin(theta)?

Well, a x b = [tex]\det \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
\textbf{i} & \textbf{j} & \textbf{k} \\
a1 & a2 & a3 \\
b1 & b2 & b3 \end{array} \right)[/tex], unless you were referring to something else?

(Of course, a = a1i + a2j + a3k, etc.)

well that's kind of what I'm asking... is there a way to arrive at that determinant form without knowing a x b equals |a||b|sin(theta)? So we want to construct a vector that is perpendicular to 2 vectors in a plane and has a magnitude that somehow expresses the amount of rotation.

"well that's kind of what I'm asking... is there a way to arrive at that determinant form without knowing a x b equals |a||b|sin(theta)?"

Well that's kind of the definition for the cross-product. Nevertheless, maybe this might help a bit:

Start with the following definitions for a right-handed co-ordinate system:

[tex]\hat{x}\times\hat{x} = \hat{y}\times\hat{y} = \hat{z}\times{z} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\hat{x}\times\hat{y} = -\hat{y}\times\hat{x} = \hat{z}[/tex]
[tex]\hat{y}\times\hat{z} = -\hat{z}\times\hat{y} = \hat{x}[/tex]
[tex]\hat{z}\times\hat{x} = -\hat{x}\times\hat{z} = \hat{y}[/tex]

So if you write

[tex]A\times B = (A_x\hat{x} + A_y\hat{y} + A_z\hat{z}) \times (B_x\hat{x} + B_y\hat{y} + B_z\hat{z})[/tex]

(Ie: [tex]A_y\hat{y}\times B_x\hat{x}=A_yB_x(\hat{y}\times\hat{x}) = -A_yB_x\hat{z}[/tex])

Expand, regroup, and this will lead you to the determinant form.

Last edited:
danny271828 said:
well that's kind of what I'm asking... is there a way to arrive at that determinant form without knowing a x b equals |a||b|sin(theta)? So we want to construct a vector that is perpendicular to 2 vectors in a plane and has a magnitude that somehow expresses the amount of rotation.
If you don't use "length of a x b= |a||b|sin(theta)" (and the fact that a x b is perpendicular to be a and b with the "right hand rule"- it is not correct that a x b= |a||b|sin(theta)!) the what definition of cross product ARE you using?

Obviously, you have to have some definition before you can derive a formula!

nicksause is using, as a definition, that [itex]\vec{i}\times \vec{j}= \vec{k}[/itex], [itex]\vec{j}\times\vec{k}= \vec{i}[/itex], and [itex]\vec{k}\times\vec{i}= \vec{j}[/itex] together with requiring that the cross product be associative, distribute over vector addition, and be anti-commutative.

nicksause is using, as a definition, that [itex]\vec{i}\times \vec{j}= \vec{k}[/itex], [itex]\vec{j}\times\vec{k}= \vec{i}[/itex], and [itex]\vec{k}\times\vec{i}= \vec{j}[/itex] together with requiring that the cross product be associative, distribute over vector addition, and be anti-commutative.

Right, I should have mentioned that.

nicksause is using, as a definition, that [itex]\vec{i}\times \vec{j}= \vec{k}[/itex], [itex]\vec{j}\times\vec{k}= \vec{i}[/itex], and [itex]\vec{k}\times\vec{i}= \vec{j}[/itex]
That is the original quaternion-based definition of the cross product. Even the use of [itex]\vec{i}, \vec{j}, \vec{k}[/itex] as unit vectors comes straight from the quaternions. The determinant form is an easy mnemonic for some; I prefer the even/odd permutations of i,j,k (or whatever).

As an aside, the concept of vectors and vector spaces is a relatively recent invention (end of the 19th century). We are introduced to vectors in the first week of freshman physics and use vector-based calculations throughout. How did physicists do things, even very basic freshman-level physics things, before the invention of vectors and all that is associated with them?

They probably used systems of equations expressed in some choice of coordinate system. I would imagine that there was more use of geometric and trigonometric arguments.

1. What is a cross product and how is it related to determinants?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that is used to find a vector that is perpendicular to two other vectors in three-dimensional space. It is related to determinants because the cross product of two vectors can be represented as the determinant of a matrix.

2. How do you set up equations for solving cross products using determinants?

To set up equations for solving cross products using determinants, you first need to write out the two vectors involved in the cross product as rows or columns in a 3x3 matrix. Then, you can use the formula for finding the determinant of a 3x3 matrix to calculate the cross product.

3. What are the steps for solving cross products using determinants?

The steps for solving cross products using determinants are as follows:

1. Write out the two vectors involved in the cross product as rows or columns in a 3x3 matrix.
  2. Calculate the determinant of the matrix using the formula for a 3x3 matrix.
  3. Identify the components of the cross product from the resulting determinant.
  4. Write out the final cross product equation using the identified components.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving cross products with determinants?

Yes, there is a shortcut for finding the cross product using determinants. Instead of writing out the vectors in a 3x3 matrix, you can use a shortcut formula that involves writing out the components of the vectors in a specific order. This can save time and make the calculation process easier.

5. Can cross products be solved without using determinants?

Yes, cross products can also be solved using the geometric method or the vector method. However, using determinants is often the preferred method because it is more generalizable to higher dimensions and can be used for solving other types of equations as well.