1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross Products

1. Sep 15, 2007 #1
    I'm having trouble relating the cross product form |a||b|sin(theta) to its component form (a1b2 - a2b1) ... and so on... I know how to do this mathematically so please don't just suggest some proof that I can find in every textbook... The component form involves the solutions to equations using determinants I believe... I was wondering if anyone could get me going in the right direction as far as setting up a set of equations to solve in order to arrive at this component form... I know I have seen this somewhere but cannot find the right book... So I guess you could say I'm trying to setup the right question, in other words, is there a set of equations for 2 vectors in a plane that can be solved via determinants in order to arrive at this component form for the cross product? I'm having a little trouble stating the question even...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2007 #2
    I guess another way of what I am asking is - is there any way to arrive at the component form of the cross product without knowing it is equal to absin(theta)?

4. Sep 15, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Well, a x b = [tex]\det \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    \textbf{i} & \textbf{j} & \textbf{k} \\
    a1 & a2 & a3 \\
    b1 & b2 & b3 \end{array} \right)[/tex], unless you were referring to something else?

(Of course, a = a1i + a2j + a3k, etc.)

5. Sep 15, 2007 #4
    well that's kind of what I'm asking... is there a way to arrive at that determinant form without knowing a x b equals |a||b|sin(theta)? So we want to construct a vector that is perpendicular to 2 vectors in a plane and has a magnitude that somehow expresses the amount of rotation.

6. Sep 15, 2007 #5

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"well that's kind of what I'm asking... is there a way to arrive at that determinant form without knowing a x b equals |a||b|sin(theta)?"

Well that's kind of the definition for the cross-product. Nevertheless, maybe this might help a bit:

Start with the following definitions for a right-handed co-ordinate system:

[tex]\hat{x}\times\hat{x} = \hat{y}\times\hat{y} = \hat{z}\times{z} = 0[/tex]
    [tex]\hat{x}\times\hat{y} = -\hat{y}\times\hat{x} = \hat{z}[/tex]
    [tex]\hat{y}\times\hat{z} = -\hat{z}\times\hat{y} = \hat{x}[/tex]
    [tex]\hat{z}\times\hat{x} = -\hat{x}\times\hat{z} = \hat{y}[/tex]

So if you write

[tex]A\times B = (A_x\hat{x} + A_y\hat{y} + A_z\hat{z}) \times (B_x\hat{x} + B_y\hat{y} + B_z\hat{z})[/tex]

(Ie: [tex]A_y\hat{y}\times B_x\hat{x}=A_yB_x(\hat{y}\times\hat{x}) = -A_yB_x\hat{z}[/tex])

Expand, regroup, and this will lead you to the determinant form.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  7. Sep 15, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you don't use "length of a x b= |a||b|sin(theta)" (and the fact that a x b is perpendicular to be a and b with the "right hand rule"- it is not correct that a x b= |a||b|sin(theta)!) the what definition of cross product ARE you using?

Obviously, you have to have some definition before you can derive a formula!

nicksause is using, as a definition, that [itex]\vec{i}\times \vec{j}= \vec{k}[/itex], [itex]\vec{j}\times\vec{k}= \vec{i}[/itex], and [itex]\vec{k}\times\vec{i}= \vec{j}[/itex] together with requiring that the cross product be associative, distribute over vector addition, and be anti-commutative.

8. Sep 15, 2007 #7

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right, I should have mentioned that.

9. Sep 15, 2007 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is the original quaternion-based definition of the cross product. Even the use of [itex]\vec{i}, \vec{j}, \vec{k}[/itex] as unit vectors comes straight from the quaternions. The determinant form is an easy mnemonic for some; I prefer the even/odd permutations of i,j,k (or whatever).

As an aside, the concept of vectors and vector spaces is a relatively recent invention (end of the 19th century). We are introduced to vectors in the first week of freshman physics and use vector-based calculations throughout. How did physicists do things, even very basic freshman-level physics things, before the invention of vectors and all that is associated with them?

10. Sep 15, 2007 #9

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They probably used systems of equations expressed in some choice of coordinate system. I would imagine that there was more use of geometric and trigonometric arguments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook