1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross Products

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The whole problem is :
    Find eqn of plane through (2, 0, 2) perpendicular to vectors <1, -1, 2> and <-1, 1, 0>

I am trying to figure out if I am making an error with cross products here...

Find the normal (perpendicular) vector of <1, -1, 2> and <-1, 1, 0>

2. Relevant equations

Cross products equation... <1, -1, 2> X <-1, 1, 0>

3. The attempt at a solution

Normal Vector: <-2, -3, 0>

So the plane equation would be
    -2(x-2) -3(y-0)+0(z-2) =0
    -2x-3y=4

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's impossible for a plane to be perpendicular two two vectors which are not parallel to each other.

Do you mean that the normal to the plane is perpendicular to those two vectors?

4. Jan 27, 2012 #3
    I think I worded it incorrectly. Mostly I am interested in the cross products and if that particular cross product is correct. IE <1,-1,2> X <-1,1-0> = <-2, 3, 0>

ignore the rest of it...

5. Jan 27, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, it's not correct. You can check your work by dotting your result vector with each of the two vectors that make up the cross product. The result vector should be perpendicular to each of the other two, meaning that both dot products should be zero.

If you can't figure it out, show us your calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook