Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross Section Calculus

1. Jul 26, 2005 #1
    In the book "Gauge Theories of the strong, weak, and electromagnetic interactions" by Chris Quigg the calculus of the scattering of proton-electron is esbosed (chapter 7, section 3 , pag 168).

He get the result (in the lab frame):

[tex] \frac{\mbox d^2\sigma}{\mbox d E^\prime\mbox d\Omega^\prime} =\frac1{16\pi^2}\frac{E^\prime}{E}\bar{|\mathcal M|}^2[/tex].

I'm new to this kind of calculus, but couldn't get this.

Does Anyone have a suggestion?.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2005 #2

reilly

Science Advisor

It's called the Rosenbluth cross section. Basic QED and field theory books, e.g Bjorken and Drell, Gross, etc. go into the derivation in great detail. Check out Google. The big deal is the algebra required to deal with the gamma matrices.

Regards,
    Reilly Atkinson

4. Jul 28, 2005 #3
    If you are really new to this kind of stuff (undergrad level), I highly recommend:

D. Griffiths, "Introduction to elementary particles", J. Wiley & Sons (1987.).

I liked all other Griffiths' books (Electrodynamics, Quantum mechanics) and this one is no exception. For more advanced level I'd say go with Bjorken and Drell (that would be for graduate level).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?