Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross Section Data

1. May 1, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I'm doing a project to see the feasibility of transmuting tungsten into platinum on a small scale (maximum output of 1 kg per month). However, some of the cross section data that I need seems to be hard to find. Now because I am new to this, I don't know if its because no body has measured the data or because I simply am looking in the wrong place.

The data that I need are the thermal neutron capture cross sections for the following nuclides
    (The radioactive ones have # signs):

Tungsten-186
    Tungsten-187#
    Rhenium-187#
    Rhenium-188#
    Osmium-188
    Osmium-189
    Osmium-190
    Iridium-191
    Iridium-192#

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the data?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2014 #2

QuantumPion

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ENDF Cross sections can be found on this site: http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/

It looks like the W-186->Re-187 and Re-187->Os-188 reactions are feasible with thermal cross sections in the hundreds of barns. However there is no neutron cross section data for Os in ENDF. Googling around I found a few astrophysics papers regarding Os neutron cross sections but I don't have memberships to download them.

Os-188 through Os-190 are stable so you would need several captures to get to Os-191 to make Ir-191. Then you need one more capture to get Pt-192.

Before you go further, you might want to do some back-of-the-envelope calculations to see what kind of neutron fluxes you will need to achieve macroscopic production rates. You need so many successive captures with only modest cross sections that it will not be possible to do this in an economically advantageous way. Neutrons are not free.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  4. May 21, 2016 #3
    Hi there

Try this website for plotting and retrieving nuclear data http://jshimwell.com/ it is really easy to use

It has ENDF data (QuantumPion is correct ENDF does not currently contain Os data) like most other sites

The website also has other evaluations like EAF JEFF JENDL TALYS which do contain Os data. Experimental EXFOR data can also be added.

ShimPlotWell contains all the isotopes you have requested

The data can also be downloaded in text format.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted