Help Solving Physics Problem 6.8 from "Quarks and Leptons

• Thread starter elmerx25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem in Physics Problem 6.8 from "Quarks and Leptons" involves using the Schrödinger equation to calculate the energy levels of a quark system. Quarks and leptons are elementary particles that make up matter, with quarks composing protons and neutrons and leptons including electrons and neutrinos. The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes particle behavior, and in this problem, it is used to find the energy levels of the quark system. To solve the problem, one must apply the Schrödinger equation to the given system of quarks and solve for the wave function and energy eigenvalues. Understanding of quantum mechanics, the
elmerx25
Hello:

I have a problem and I need your help, please. I need to solve the problem 6.8 from "Quarks and Leptons. An Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics - F.Halzem,A.Martin". It is:

Calculate the cross section for elastic scattering of unpolarized electrons from spinless point-like particles. The result is:

[tex]{d\sigma}/{dΩ}|_{Lab} = (\frac{\alpha^2}{4E^2sen^4{\vartheta/2})}) \frac{E´}{E} cos^2{\vartheta/2}[/tex]

I use as invariant amplitude:

[tex]|M|^2 = \frac{e^4}{q^4} L^{\nu\mu}_{e^-} (p+p´)_{\mu}(p+p´)_{\nu}[/tex]

Sure that I make a mistake because I am very near to the solution.

Can someone, please, tell me the name of a book in where I can see the exercise done?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I do not know of any books that provide a solution to this particular exercise. It may be helpful to consult with a professor or tutor who is knowledgeable in particle physics and has experience with this problem. Alternatively, you could search online for a solution or post your question on a forum specifically aimed at particle physics.

What is the problem in Physics Problem 6.8 from "Quarks and Leptons"?

The problem involves calculating the energy levels of a quark system using the Schrödinger equation.

What are quarks and leptons?

Quarks and leptons are elementary particles that make up matter. Quarks make up protons and neutrons, while leptons include electrons and neutrinos.

What is the Schrödinger equation and how is it used in this problem?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of particles. In this problem, it is used to calculate the energy levels of a quark system.

How do you solve this problem?

To solve this problem, you will need to use the Schrödinger equation and apply it to the given system of quarks. This will involve solving for the wave function and finding the energy eigenvalues.

What are the key concepts needed to understand this problem?

This problem requires an understanding of quantum mechanics, specifically the Schrödinger equation and energy eigenvalues. It also requires knowledge of quarks and their properties.