Volume of Solid w/ 4x4 Square Base & Cross-Sections of Semicircles

In summary: Now thIn summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving the volume of a solid whose base is a 4x4 square by integrating with respect to x, but ran into difficulty because the cross sections are perpendicular to the diagonal of the square. After some coffee, the student was able to find a better way to solve the problem.
ciubba

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid whose base is a 4 by 4 square. Cross sections perpendicular to one diagonal of the square base are semi-circles with diameter on the base.

Homework Equations

V=pi r^2
A=S^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The cross sections are perpendicular to the x axis, so I need to integrate with respect to x. I centered the square base on a cartesian coordinate system and found via the pythogorean theorem that half the diagonal, which I believe is the radius of the semicircle, has a value of 2*2^(1/2). V=pi r^2, so [tex] \int_{0}^{4}(pi*(2\sqrt{2})^2) dx[/tex] =100.53
Am I on the right track with this solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
ciubba said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid whose base is a 4 by 4 square. Cross sections perpendicular to one diagonal of the square base are semi-circles with diameter on the base.

Homework Equations

V=pi r^2
A=S^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The cross sections are perpendicular to the x axis, so I need to integrate with respect to x. I centered the square base on a cartesian coordinate system and found via the pythogorean theorem that half the diagonal, which I believe is the radius of the semicircle, has a value of 2*2^(1/2). V=pi r^2, so [tex] \int_{0}^{4}(pi*(2\sqrt{2})^2) dx[/tex] =100.53
Am I on the right track with this solution?
I don't think so.
According to your problem description, the cross sections are perpendicular to the diagonal of the square. As you move away from one corner of the square, the semicircular slices get larger in diameter until you get to the other diagonal of the square, then they get smaller again.

I set up the problem by placing the diagonal of the square on the x-axis so that one corner is at (0, 0) and two other corners are at ##(\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{2})## and ##(\sqrt{2}, -\sqrt{2})##. I also used the symmetry of the situation by doubling the volume I get over half of the square.

Edit: The value I get is about 24.

Last edited:
Now th
Mark44 said:
I don't think so.
According to your problem description, the cross sections are perpendicular to the diagonal of the square. As you move away from one corner of the square, the semicircular slices get larger in diameter until you get to the other diagonal of the square, then they get smaller again.

I set up the problem by placing the diagonal of the square on the x-axis so that one corner is at (0, 0) and two other corners are at ##(\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{2})## and ##(\sqrt{2}, -\sqrt{2})##. I also used the symmetry of the situation by doubling the volume I get over half of the square.
Now that I've had some coffee, I can see that I should have integrated along the diagonal like you did. Also, I forgot to half the volume formula because I'm dealing with semi-circles. In this situation, how do I find the equation that produces the radius of the semi-circles?

Edit: The best I could do was the following: I centered one of the corners on the origin and used the y-axis to divide the square into two symmetric halves. From here, I called the upper boundary of the square f(x) and the bottom boundary g(x) and then I integrated [tex]2 \int_{-2 \sqrt{2}}^{0} \frac {( \pi (.5[f(x)-g(x)])^2)}{2}[/tex] Is there a better way to do that?

Here's a picture of what I did if the text isn't clear
http://postimg.org/image/w0w7pwuy9/6e31b24f/

Last edited by a moderator:
ciubba said:
Now th

Now that I've had some coffee, I can see that I should have integrated along the diagonal like you did. Also, I forgot to half the volume formula because I'm dealing with semi-circles. In this situation, how do I find the equation that produces the radius of the semi-circles?

Edit: The best I could do was the following: I centered one of the corners on the origin and used the y-axis to divide the square into two symmetric halves. From here, I called the upper boundary of the square f(x) and the bottom boundary g(x) and then I integrated [tex]2 \int_{-2 \sqrt{2}}^{0} \frac {( \pi (.5[f(x)-g(x)])^2)}{2}[/tex] Is there a better way to do that?
That will work, but it isn't the most convenient way to set things up. I put the left corner of the square at the origin, which makes it easier to find the equations of the lines that make up the edges of the square.

BTW, I had an error in my result. I now get a value between 23 and 24. I have edited my earlier post to correct it.
ciubba said:
Here's a picture of what I did if the text isn't clear
http://postimg.org/image/w0w7pwuy9/6e31b24f/

What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid with a 4x4 square base and cross-sections of semicircles?

The formula for finding the volume of this solid is V = (1/2)(πr^2)(h) + (4)(4)(h), where r is the radius of the semicircle and h is the height of the solid.

How do you determine the height of the solid in order to calculate the volume?

The height of the solid can be determined by subtracting the radius of the semicircle from the height of the entire solid. This is because the semicircle takes up half of the height of the solid.

Can this formula be used for any solid with a 4x4 square base and cross-sections of semicircles?

Yes, this formula can be used for any solid with a 4x4 square base and cross-sections of semicircles as long as the height of the solid and the radius of the semicircles are known.

How does the number of cross-sections affect the volume of the solid?

The more cross-sections there are, the larger the volume of the solid will be. This is because each additional cross-section adds to the overall volume of the solid.

What is the significance of using a 4x4 square base for this solid?

A 4x4 square base is significant because it allows for symmetry in the solid, making it easier to calculate the volume. It also ensures that the cross-sections of semicircles are consistent in size and shape.