Cross sections

• Thread starter JKLM
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

If the area enclosed by an ellipse 4x^2+y^2=1 and its cross section is perpendicular to the x-axis then its volume is?

I dont have the slightest clue how to do this?

Maybe solve for 2y^2=1-4x^2 set the integral equal to pi times the intergral of 1/4 to 1 of 1-4x^2?

Answers and Replies

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It sounds to me like you're missing part of the problem...

Originally posted by JKLM
If the area enclosed by an ellipse 4x^2+y^2=1 and its cross section is perpendicular to the x-axis then its volume is?

I dont have the slightest clue how to do this?

Maybe solve for 2y^2=1-4x^2 set the integral equal to pi times the intergral of 1/4 to 1 of 1-4x^2?
My calculus is rusty but here's the first idea which comes to mind. Solve for y:

y = sqrt(1-4x^2)

Then do an integral with limits 0 to 1/4, and multiply the total by 4. In other words (using a clunky capital S as an integral sign), solve this:

4 [ S(0-.25) sqrt(1-4x^2) dx ]

And that should be the answer. You may have trouble solving such a weird integral, but give it a go and see if the answer is reasonable.

--Mark

How can a planar fig occupy a volume I agree with Hurkyl u are missing something it must be rotated about some axis to have a solid figure

In retrospect you're probably right (I wrote that response in a hurry). At the time I posted, I assumed he meant "area" since he provided insufficient information to solve a volume-related problem.

--Mark