1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crossbow acceleration

1. Aug 29, 2005 #1
    This is a two step problem:

a) In deep space (no gravity), the bolt (arrow) of a crossbow accelerates at 193 m/s2 and attains a speed of 124 m/s when it leaves the bow. For how long is it accelerated?

b) What speed will the bolt have attained 3.6s after leaving the crossbow? Answer in m/s

I correctly figured out that it is accelerated for .642 s. But I don't quite understand what happens afterwards. Since there is no gravity, doesn't the acceleration continue? I multiplied 193 by 3.6 but the answer is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

RECALL:
    F=ma

No force, No acceleration. As soon as the bolt seperates from the sting the force ends.

4. Aug 29, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you know what acceleration means? Initial speed was 0 m/s, final speed was 124 m/s. (124- 0)/x sec= 193 m/sec2. What is x?

5. Aug 30, 2005 #4

Mk

So why are you firing medieval weapons in space?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?