Crossing a River: Find Speed Needed to Swim from A to B

• Thread starter hover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    River
In summary, to solve this problem, we can use trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem. The swimmer's velocity relative to the water must make an angle of 45 degrees with the line from A to C. To swim directly from A to B, the swimmer's speed relative to the water should be 4.04km/h. We can also use vector addition to determine the swimmer's velocity with respect to the shore.
hover

Homework Statement

A swimmer wants to cross a river, from point A to point B, as shown in the figure. The distance d_1 (from A to C) is 200m , the distance d_2 (from C to B) is 150m, and the speed v_r of the current in the river is 5 km/h. Suppose that the swimmer's velocity relative to the water makes an angle of [tex]\theta = 45 degrees[/tex] with the line from A to C, as indicated in the figure.

To swim directly from A to B, what speed u_s, relative to the water, should the swimmer have?

Homework Equations

I would think that you would use nothing more than some trig, Pythagorean theorem and stuff about adding and subtracting vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to attempt this solution. I don't know where to even start. I know the answer is 4.04km/h but I have no idea how to get to that answer. Where should I start?

Attachments

• M2K_rm_2_v1_001.jpg
    M2K_rm_2_v1_001.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 442
Physics news on Phys.org
Well don't all jump up at once now!

What direction must the swimmer's velocity have with respect to the shore? Hint: The velocity of the swimmer with respect to the shore = velocity of the swimmer with respect to the water + velocity of water with respect to the shore.

1. How do you calculate the speed needed to swim across a river?

The speed needed to swim across a river can be calculated by dividing the distance between point A and point B by the time it takes to swim across. This will give you the average speed required to make it across the river.

2. What factors affect the speed needed to swim across a river?

The speed needed to swim across a river can be affected by several factors, such as the width and depth of the river, the strength of the current, the swimmer's physical fitness and technique, and the presence of any obstacles or hazards in the water.

3. Is there a specific technique that can help me swim faster across a river?

Yes, there are several techniques that can help you swim faster across a river, including using a strong and efficient arm stroke, keeping your body streamlined, and utilizing the current to your advantage. It is also important to practice and improve your overall swimming technique and endurance.

4. Can the speed needed to swim across a river vary depending on the conditions?

Yes, the speed needed to swim across a river can vary depending on the conditions. For example, a wider and deeper river with a stronger current will require a faster speed to swim across compared to a narrower and shallower river with a weaker current.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when attempting to swim across a river?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when attempting to swim across a river. It is important to always assess the conditions and ensure that you are a strong and confident swimmer before attempting to cross. It is also recommended to wear a life jacket, have a safety plan in place, and never swim alone.