Cross Vectors A & B: Solving for J

• Thread starter webz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, when crossing vector A = <0, 3, 4> with vector B = <4, -4, 7>, the resulting vector is <5, -16, 12> and the component 'j' is calculated correctly as (a3b1 - a1b3) j. This can be double-checked by cycling the first term, (a2b3 - a3b2) i, to the next term, resulting in (a3b1 - a1b3) j.
webz

Homework Statement

Cross vector A with vector B.
A = <0,3,4> B = <4,-4,7>

Homework Equations

a x b = (a2b3 - a3b2) i + (a3b1 - a1b3) j + (a1b2 - a2b1) k
(I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

AxB= i(21-16)-j(16-0)+k(0-12) = <5,-16,12>

I'm unsure if the component 'j' is correct. First, my teacher negated the value in their formula (i-j+k), and then he cross multiplied backwards (instead of (a1b3-a3b1) he used (a3b1-a1b3)). I have done this in the above problem to mimic what he did, however, I don't know if it is correct. Can someone help to clarify component 'j'?

Physics news on Phys.org
A good way to remember it is the "determinant"
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}\vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ a_1 & a_2 & a_3 \\ b_1 & b_2 & b_3 \end{array}\right|[/tex]

Expanded by minors along the first row this is
[tex]\vec{i}\left|\begin{array}{cc}a_2 & a_3 \\ b_2 & b_3\end{array}\right|- \vec{j}\left|\begin{array}{cc}a_1 & a_3 \\ b_1 & b_3\end{array}\right|+ \vec{k}\right|\begin{array}{cc}a_1 & a_2 \\ b_1 & b_3\end{array}\right|[/tex]
[tex]= (a_2b_3- a_3b_2)\vec{i}- (a_1b_3- a_3b_1)\vec{j}+ (a_1b_2- a_2b_1)\vec{k}[/tex]
[tex]= (a_2b_3- a_3b_2)\vec{i}+ (a_3b_1- a_1b_3)\vec{j}+ (a_1b_2- a_2b_1)\vec{k}[/tex]
which is just what you say!

However, in calculating that you have missed a few signs.
[tex]a_2b_3- a_3b_2= 3(7)-(4)(-4)= 21+ 16= 37[/tex]
[tex]a_3b_1- a_1b_3= 4(4)- (0)(7)= 16- 0= 16[/tex]
[tex]a_1b_2- a_2b_1= 0(-4)- (3)(4)= 0- 12= -12[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to PF!

webz said:
a x b = (a2b3 - a3b2) i + (a3b1 - a1b3) j + (a1b2 - a2b1) k
(I think)

I'm unsure if the component 'j' is correct.

Hi webz! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Yes, (a3b1 - a1b3) j is correct.

A good way to check any formula like this is to take the first term, (a2b3 - a3b2) i,

and just make everything "cycle" to the next one …

so a2 goes to a3, b3 goes to b1, and i goes to j. :wink:

Thanks for the quick replies! You guys might be seeing me around here, I have to relearn all the calc and chemistry I've ever taken before next semester starts! :P

Appreciate your help!

1. What are cross vectors A and B?

Cross vectors A and B are two vectors in a three-dimensional space that are used to calculate the vector product, also known as the cross product. This is a mathematical operation that results in a third vector that is perpendicular to both A and B.

2. How do you solve for J in cross vectors A and B?

To solve for J in cross vectors A and B, you can use the formula J = A x B, where x represents the cross product. This formula takes the components of A and B and uses them to calculate the components of J. You can also use the determinant method or the geometric method to solve for J.

3. When is it necessary to use cross vectors A and B to solve for J?

Cross vectors A and B are used when you need to find a vector that is perpendicular to both A and B. This is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating torque, magnetic fields, and angular momentum.

4. What are some properties of cross vectors A and B?

Some properties of cross vectors A and B include the fact that the magnitude of the cross product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of A and B multiplied by the sine of the angle between them. Additionally, the direction of the cross product follows the right-hand rule and is perpendicular to both A and B.

5. Are there any real-life examples of cross vectors A and B being used to solve for J?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of cross vectors A and B being used to solve for J. One example is in physics, where the cross product is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire. Another example is in engineering, where the cross product is used to calculate the moment of a force acting on a rigid object.