Troubleshooting Crossover Distortion in Audio Pre-Amplifier Simulation

• Thread starter erer44
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is experiencing crossover distortion in their audio pre-amplifier simulation and has tried multiple solutions but has not found a fix. They speculate that the issue may be due to matching transistors or a faulty component in the driver circuit. After isolating the issue to the middle tone control, they plan to continue troubleshooting and have requested assistance from others. They also share the schematic and oscilloscope readings for reference. Another user suggests using a lower input voltage and checking the steady state voltages of all transistors to get more accurate results. The original poster thanks them and mentions their limited understanding but expresses a desire to learn more. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to research the appropriate input and output levels for the circuit to
erer44
I'm getting a bit of what appears to be crossover distortion in my audio pre-amplifier simulation.
Tried a bunch of different fixes, it was still there. Could it be that the simulation's transistors are so exactly matched?

I'll continue searching for an error in my model.

Thanks for any help.

-Ed

Attachments

• crossover.bmp
    293.8 KB · Views: 578
Engineering news on Phys.org
What's it like at lower frequencies? You seem to have some ringing, too.
Isn't there some adjustment in the driver circuit to get the bias right and minimise crossover problems?
But the glitch is not where I should have expected crossover distortion - i.e. half way up. There seems to be too much asymmetry for it to be simple C/O distortion. Could one leg of the driver circuit be faulty - like an electrolytic connected the wrong way round. Feedback may be doing its best to correct a really major distortion somewhere.

It seems to have something to do with the middle tone control. As I lower it, the distortion decreases until it's almost gone with the control at 0%

If I remove the middle control from the circuit entirely the 'crossover' disappears.

Now that I have the problem so isolated I feel confident I'll be able to weed it out. If not, I'll be back.

Where is the ringing in the wave? It does sound a little doubled or 'fat' as the synthesizer guys like to use. But again, with the middle control lowered, that effect goes away.

Thanks for the help!

Hello erer44

Could you please post a schematic of your circuit, so that we can get a better idea of what is going on. It would also be very helpful to know the input signal, and output load (if any).

Of course. This is the preamplifier section I am working out the kinks on right now. I'm putting 1.5vP into it from the function generator, and it goes through a power amp and output transformer for 8 or 16 ohm speaker loads.

Thanks again! Let me know if there's anything you can't make out.

normal3.jpg

Attachments

• normal channel.jpg
    normal channel.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
And here is the oscilloscope with the middle pot all the way down and all the way up.

Attachments

• middle control.JPG
    middle control.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 452
Why don't you put 1 millivolt peak into it and see what you get? 1.5 volts peak input seems a bit much. Make sure you are getting less than 1 volt peak out (TR9 collector). Also, measure the dc steady state voltages of all transistors, and compare them to the schematic.
Bob S

Last edited:
That did it, thanks! Now I can get to building the real thing.

I'm in this just a bit over my head. Starting to understand more and more though.

I think it would be advisable for you to find out what input level this circuit was designed to handle, and also what output to level expect. [Alternatively, what input level and what gain.]

This would help you with setting up more realistic simulations, and interpreting the results.

1. What is crossover distortion in audio pre-amplifiers?

Crossover distortion is a type of distortion that occurs in audio pre-amplifiers when the output signal switches between positive and negative voltage. This creates a "crossover" point in the signal where there is a gap or distortion, resulting in a distorted output signal.

2. What causes crossover distortion in audio pre-amplifiers?

Crossover distortion is caused by the non-linear behavior of transistors in the amplifier circuit. When the input signal crosses the zero point, the transistors need to switch from conducting current in one direction to the other. This switching process results in a brief gap or distortion in the output signal.

3. How can I troubleshoot crossover distortion in audio pre-amplifier simulation?

To troubleshoot crossover distortion, you can use an oscilloscope to analyze the output signal and determine the extent of the distortion. You can also try adjusting the biasing of the transistors to minimize the distortion. Additionally, using higher-quality transistors or implementing a feedback circuit can help reduce crossover distortion.

4. Can crossover distortion be eliminated completely?

While it is difficult to completely eliminate crossover distortion, it can be reduced to a negligible level with careful circuit design and component selection. Using a push-pull amplifier configuration or implementing a Class AB amplifier can also help minimize crossover distortion.

5. Are there any other types of distortion in audio pre-amplifiers?

Yes, there are several other types of distortion that can occur in audio pre-amplifiers, including harmonic distortion, intermodulation distortion, and clipping distortion. Each type of distortion has its own causes and can be addressed through different troubleshooting techniques.