1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crude estimation of a magnetic quadrupole

1. May 27, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I ran an experiment to determine Br(r), where Br was the radial magnetic field produced by a magnetic dipole. Having found the magnetic moment of the dipole, I would now like to determine the contribution to the magnetic field of the next order in the expansion (viz. the quadrupole). I have no information on the magnetic moment itself of the quadrupole nor do I possess any information on the current density J. I am interested in a very crude estimation, if possible. I do, however, know that the ratio (magnet's size : distance from Hall's magnetic sensor) was ~1:6, on average.

2. Relevant equations

See attachment. First moment is that of the dipole. Second is of the quadrupole.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the formulae in the attachment, I estimated the ratio BD/BQ to be 3. Hence, the contribution of the dipole order to the magnetic field was 3 times that of the quadrupole order. I performed the estimation thus:
    BD = 2*1/2*mD/R3, whereas BQ = 3/2R3 * 2 * 4/3 * mD * 1/6
    It seems too small a ratio to me. Could anyone please help me determine whether this is indeed reasonable? I'd truly appreciate some prompt advice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?