1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crumple zone using paper

1. Jul 22, 2008 #1
    i have to build a crumple zone using paper. a metal ball is to be placed on top of a magnet which is also on top of a trolley and none of the paper can touch the ball. the trolley is like a small tray on wheels, about 30cm long, 10cm wide and about 15 cm high.

i still go to high school and i am a beginner at physics, none of the formula's are much meaning to me lol but i do know the general idea(i think =S)

lets just say that they told me this once and i did not take it all in.

some ideas that i thought of were:

1. making cone shapes with the pieces of paper and putting enough cones at the point of impact so its not a too abrupt stop.
    2. making strips of paper. getting 2 strips and cross them over each other until it makes a sort of sturdy spring when stretched out. If paper is not a limited factor i may make alot of the springs and put them side on making a wall sort of crumple zone.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted