Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cry baby

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1

wolram

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

So cute...

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I find his "analysis" hard to believe. Lowering defenses? Crying is usually done by the weakest and most vulnerable groups: women and children. They hardly need to lower defenses any further; they're the people you'd least expect to be plotting murder.

5. Aug 25, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is up there with 'it is obvious that' for what engineers normally call a Wild Assed Guess

6. Aug 25, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know nothing about his research or evidence. What differentiates your statment from "I feel like blowing smoke", or a wild-assed guess?

7. Aug 27, 2009 #6

Tsu

Gold Member

8. Aug 28, 2009 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I think Wolly perfectly explained the idea in his very first post in the thread. Empathy seems to be the key word here.

9. Aug 28, 2009 #8

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Of course empathy is the reason for crying, but the people you're having empathy for are likely not the ones you're suspicious of.

10. Aug 29, 2009 #9

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No contradiction here.

We are social animals, tending to live in small groups. Others from the group are usually not dangerous, and they can be forced (through tears) to behave like whoever cries wants them to. It may not work when you are outside of the group, but if most of the interactions are internal to the group weeper is statistically a clear winner.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook