Crystal oscillator not working

In summary, the conversation discusses troubleshooting a raltron crystal oscillator with a rated frequency of 100 megahertz that is connected to a programmable frequency divider. The diode is not blinking and the individual is seeking advice on how to troubleshoot the issue. It is recommended to avoid using a solderless breadboard for construction at high frequencies and to carefully control parasitics. It is also suggested to use a frequency counter for accurate measurements. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a microchip with a voltage controlled oscillator rated at 2.4 gigahertz and the need for a PCB for prototyping circuits.
David lopez
I bought a raltron crystal oscillator.
I connected it to a programmable frequency divider. It is supposed to cause a diode to blink on and off. The crystal oscillator has a rated frequency of 100 megahertz. The programmable frequency divider can divide a frequency by up to 2,147,483,648. Diode won't blink. How do I troubleshoot the crystal oscillator?

Engineering news on Phys.org
David lopez said:
How do I troubleshoot the crystal oscillator?

Without an oscilloscope, you won't.

Likes davenn and berkeman
David lopez said:
How do I troubleshoot the crystal oscillator?
Can you post your schematic and a picture of how you hooked it up?

Also, it's probably best to start with an oscillator around 1MHz (or even 32.768kHz), to make the circuit easier to deal with. Circuit construction around 100MHz takes specialized techniques that you can learn later.

David lopez said:
Diode won't blink.

if the oscillator frequency is more than around 50Hz, then you won't see it blink
It will be too fast for your eye to see

berkeman said:
Can you post your schematic and a picture of how you hooked it up?

Also, it's probably best to start with an oscillator around 1MHz (or even 32.768kHz), to make the circuit easier to deal with. Circuit construction around 100MHz takes specialized techniques that you can learn later.

What are these specialized techniques?

David lopez said:
What are these specialized techniques?

VHF (very high frequencies) and up require careful circuit layout and construction
so that they work correctly ... for example
1) .. they cannot be built on those solderless breadboards ( like you have been using)
2) .. interconnecting wiring between components must be kept as short as possible
because if they are too long they can become significant inductance or become antennas
3) .. shielding between stages/sections
4) the use of feedthrough capacitors and ferrite beads to stop RF getting back out onto
power supply lines

the list goes on ...

Now that is just some of the construction issues
Testing is another whole ball game. Suitable test gear for the frequencies being experimented with
are essential ( now that goes for all circuits but becomes more critical as the frequencies increase)
As the frequencies increase, the cost of good/reliable test gear also increases.
I have many $1000's of test gear here that I use on VHF, UHF and into the microwave bands
up to 24 GHz
Spectrum analyser to make sure a signal is clean -- no harmonics present or at least very reduced
RF power meters to know how much power is being produced
Frequency counter(s), I have 3 for different uses, to make sure you are producing a signal
on the correct frequency
Decent quality, high impedance, multimeter
Decent oscilloscope for looking as waveforms etc of various signals

again, the list goes on as you get more into it...

Likes berkeman
So I should avoid using a solderless board?

David lopez said:
So I should avoid using a solderless board?
At 100MHz? Yes, please avoid that. :smile:

Likes davenn
Why can't they be built on solderless
Boards?

David lopez said:
Why can't they be built on solderless
Boards?
davenn said:
2) .. interconnecting wiring between components must be kept as short as possible
because if they are too long they can become significant inductance or become antennas
davenn said:
3) .. shielding between stages/sections
davenn said:
the list goes on ...
Basically, you need to control parasitics (capacitance, inductance, coupling) very carefully in high-frequency circuits. A wire is not just a wire, it's an inductor and an antenna. A capacitor is not a capacitor anymore, the parasity inductance associated with it makes it a tuned circuit. An inductor is no longer an inductor, its parasitic capacitance shorts out much of the inductance...
davenn said:
the list goes on ...
:smile:

Likes davenn
Here is a good book that describes the digital side of high-speed design. It was written by a very bright guy who used to work at the company that I still work for. Our CEO bought copies for every hardware engineer in the company when Howie first published it... :smile: See if your local technical library has a copy that you can look through...

I am planning to buy a microchip that
Contains a voltage controlled oscillator
Rated at 2.4 gigahertz that will work on a breadboard?

David lopez said:
I am planning to buy a microchip that

what do you think in the light of what you have been told in the above posts ?

David lopez said:
ohhh ... and do you have a frequency counter that goes to at least 2.5 GHz
so you know the exact frequency you are radiating RF energy on ?

If not, don't get the oscillator module till you have spent good money on a frequency counter first

How do prototype circuits that contain this chip?

David lopez said:
How do prototype circuits that contain this chip?
a PCB .. Printed Circuit Board

Is that the only way?

The original question has been answered.

Thread closed.

1. Why is my crystal oscillator not working?

There could be several reasons why your crystal oscillator is not working. Some common causes include incorrect circuit design, damaged components, or a faulty crystal. It is important to troubleshoot and identify the specific issue in order to fix the problem.

2. How do I test a crystal oscillator?

To test a crystal oscillator, you can use an oscilloscope or a frequency counter. Connect the crystal to the circuit and measure the output signal. If the frequency is within the specified range, the crystal is functioning properly. If not, the crystal may be damaged or not suitable for the circuit.

3. Can a crystal oscillator be repaired?

In most cases, a crystal oscillator cannot be repaired. If it is damaged or not working, it will need to be replaced. However, if the issue is caused by a faulty component or incorrect circuit design, those can be fixed to get the oscillator working again.

4. How do I select the right crystal for my circuit?

The right crystal for your circuit will depend on the required frequency and stability. It is important to choose a crystal with a frequency tolerance that is suitable for your application. Additionally, consider factors such as temperature range and load capacitance when selecting a crystal.

5. What is the difference between a crystal oscillator and a ceramic oscillator?

The main difference between a crystal oscillator and a ceramic oscillator is the type of resonator used. A crystal oscillator uses a quartz crystal, while a ceramic oscillator uses a ceramic resonator. Generally, crystal oscillators have higher precision and stability compared to ceramic oscillators, but they may also be more expensive.