1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crystal packing

1. Aug 23, 2007 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the maximum packing fraction of the unit cell volume that can be filled by hard spheres in the Hexagonal structure

Relevant eq: Volume of spheres is number of lattice points multiplied with the maximum volume of one sphere.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know maxium is obtained when c = a i.e when height of the cell is as high as one of the sides in the hexagon. Hence, maximum sphere radius is a/2 (I have shown geometrically that the spheres can touch eachother).

Now I am to determine the number of lattice points in this structure, I know that one primitive cell contains totally one lattice point, and a unit cell of a hexagonal structure can be made up by exactly three primitve cells, so the number of lattice points is 3. Is that the correct way to do this?

The rest I can figure out by my self, just are unsure how to determine the number of lattice points.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted