Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crystal radio

1. Jul 6, 2004 #1
    has anyone here ever built a crystal radio? what parts would i need and where can i get them? in the physics forum they said one could be constructed to run off the radio waves themselves, which is the kind i would like to build. thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As we said in the other thread, go to RadioShack and buy a kit. They probably cost about $10.

- Warren
  4. Jul 6, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Jul 6, 2004 #4
    You betcha!
    Antenna, coil, capacitor, diode, high impedance earphones. As a scrounger, the earphones are probably the hardest part to come by. The rest can come from any number of sources such as a broken radio or other suitable device contain electronic parts. The wire could come from a small electric motor (the type found in many toys, for example). There are many links available by performing a Google search and here are a few;

Good luck, and most of all have fun!
  6. Jul 7, 2004 #5
    nice. thanks for the links. that should help little at least. i did, in fact, check radio shack, but to no avail. so those are the only five components i need, other than mounting board or whatever?
  7. Jul 7, 2004 #6
    id only like to buy things online as a last resort. it be better if i could find things around my house or in a store. i have electrical parts in my house.
  8. Jul 7, 2004 #7
    You can do it with even fewer parts and COMPLETELY homemade except the earphones. No diode or capacitor, just some hardware that you can come up with in a plain old hardware store. Do this:

Search for "foxhole radio" on google. You will be amazed.
  9. Jul 7, 2004 #8
  10. Jul 11, 2004 #9
    hmmm. maybe ill try a foxhole after the crystal. my friend already got the wire and diodes so we should be set. ill let you know how it comes out.
  11. Oct 23, 2006 #10
    here are some info and parts sites..

good parts sight.
    http://www.xtalman.com also known as Borden Radio really good stuff and quick curtious service

one site mentioned earlier. crystalrad.com... i would not recomend in general, unless you want to take your chances.. recieved wrong items.. legs fell off, i was generally unhappy not recieving items and getting the run around and no replys as a repete customer. the detector stands are nice looking and traditional,,but some of the parts were sorta lose and i had to tighten them up with a thin layer of solder and shave it down till the slide and ball maintained consistant connection..others were ok.. i like the way they look, but legs fell of stands bad glue, i screwed mine on.. but they do have the absolute best detector crystals. and their bolt and blade switch parts are nice and a good price. he has some really unique pieces and kits. he was not very responsive to me.i dont know what his problem was..

crystal radios will teach you a lot.. i build tuned loop antennas for them..

they are very iteresting.. the curcuitry is faciating.. you can hook the parts up many different ways .. have fun
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?