• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Crystal Symmetry Problem

New poster has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template when posting schoolwork questions
Hello guys!

I have to solve a problem about crystal symmetry, but I am very lost, so I wonder if anyone could guide me.

The problem is the following:

Using semiclassical transport theory the conductivity tensor can be defined as:

σ(k)=e^2·t·v_a(k)·v_b(k)

Where e is the electron charge, t is a constant called relaxation time and vi the group velocity of an electron

vi=(1/h)(∂ε(k)/∂k_a)

Knowing that the system belongs to the P6mm group draw a band diagram for the system with at least 4 special points of the reciprocal cell and, based on it, discuss the components of the conductivity tensor, including the directions along which the system conducts best and worst.

I use a specific program to obtain the band diagram, so that the only thing I have to do (I guess) is to optimize the number of k-points and to enter the band path, in order to obtain the band diagram.

But then, I have a lot of questions. Is there any specific path to study the conductivity? How many bands should I obtain in the diagram? How can I relate the conductivity tensor and the diagram? How do I know the directions along which the system conducts best and worst?

Please, give me a hand :(

Thank you!!!!!

Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.