1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crystallization pressure

1. Jun 24, 2014 #1
    Given an unknown fluid, what would be an efficient and/or cheap way of finding it's crystallization pressure through experiment.

I would like to keep costs at a minimum and work from off the shelf components if possible.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2

Lok

Hi kubedgamer,

A seemingly cheap setup is described here:
    http://www.igsoc.org/journal.old/10/59/igs_journal_vol10_issue059_pg312-315.pdf [Broken]

When you say unknown liquid, it could mean that a given setup will be easily inadequate by the virtue of the liquids unknown melting point and overall behavior.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jun 25, 2014 #3
    Hi Lok,

Thanks for your reply.

I saw that paper earlier, unfortunately they're focusing on finding the pressure exerted by freezing ice against an obstacle.

"Polycrystalline ice, growing from the melt, can exert a pressure against an extended obstacle,
    even though it is free to grow in other directions. Pressures of over 0.2 bar (20kl m-z) have been measured
    with simple apparatus. This phenomenon may be important in explaining the frost-shattering of rocks"

Unfortunately, not what I'm after :(

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Jun 26, 2014 #4

Lok

So you would like to find... the pressure at which the unknown liquid freezes?

6. Jun 27, 2014 #5
    That's correct :)

7. Jun 29, 2014 #6

Lok

In this case I cannot imagine something cheaper than the obvious anvil cell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook