Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crystallization pressure

1. Jun 24, 2014 #1
    Given an unknown fluid, what would be an efficient and/or cheap way of finding it's crystallization pressure through experiment.

I would like to keep costs at a minimum and work from off the shelf components if possible.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2

Lok

Hi kubedgamer,

A seemingly cheap setup is described here:
    http://www.igsoc.org/journal.old/10/59/igs_journal_vol10_issue059_pg312-315.pdf [Broken]

When you say unknown liquid, it could mean that a given setup will be easily inadequate by the virtue of the liquids unknown melting point and overall behavior.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jun 25, 2014 #3
    Hi Lok,

Thanks for your reply.

I saw that paper earlier, unfortunately they're focusing on finding the pressure exerted by freezing ice against an obstacle.

"Polycrystalline ice, growing from the melt, can exert a pressure against an extended obstacle,
    even though it is free to grow in other directions. Pressures of over 0.2 bar (20kl m-z) have been measured
    with simple apparatus. This phenomenon may be important in explaining the frost-shattering of rocks"

Unfortunately, not what I'm after :(

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Jun 26, 2014 #4

Lok

So you would like to find... the pressure at which the unknown liquid freezes?

6. Jun 27, 2014 #5
    That's correct :)

7. Jun 29, 2014 #6

Lok

In this case I cannot imagine something cheaper than the obvious anvil cell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook