Crystallography, Ashcroft&Mermin

In summary, the conversation discusses how a trigonal primitive lattice with a certain angle can represent fcc or bcc. The focus is on proving that a trigonal lattice with a two point basis and angle of 60 degrees can represent a simple cubic lattice. The attempt at a solution involves dividing a1+a2+a3 by 4 and 8, and using mental reasoning to show that the new lattice is simple cubic with side length a/2. The concept of a "two point basis" is also mentioned.
Feynmanfan

Homework Statement

I'm having nightmares with this problem, apparently simple (A&M Chapter 7 Prob 2).

I have to show that a trigonal primitive lattice, depending on its angle, can represent fcc or bcc. This I kind of figured it out intuitively. But the serious problem is number b), where I have to prove that a trigonal lattice of basis a_i with angle 60^0, and a two point basis +-\frac{1}{4}(a_1+a_2+a_3) can represent a simple cubic lattice.

Homework Equations

A trigonal primitive cell set of vector can be
$a_1=\frac{a}{2}(x+y)$
$a_2=\frac{a}{2}(z+y)$
$a_3=\frac{a}{2}(x+z)$

The definition of trigonal is, same angle between vectors and same length.
A simple cubic lattice is clear that it can be represented by a (x,y,z)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well... I added a1+a2+a3 and divided by 4 as the problem said but i can't understand why this represents a simple cubic lattice. In addition I am asked to guess what it represents if I divide by 8 instead of 4.

I guess I don't know what "two point basis means".

Thanks for your help!(I need it so badly...)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is an intuitive way of reasoning through the problem. Consider the conventional unit cell of size a3 for the FCC lattice. Then the set ai you have mentioned are just primitive basis vectors for this lattice. Now -- mentally speaking -- subdivide the conventional cell into eight smaller "cubelets" by cutting the cell in half three times using planes perpendicular to the axes. Notice that each lattice point is at the corner of one of the cubelets. The problem calls on you to replace each lattice point by two new lattice points at positions plus or minus a/4( i + j + k ) from the original ones. Well.. this just sends the old (or FCC) lattice points into the centers of the cubelets. It should now be fairly clear that the new lattice is simple cubic with side length a/2.

Last edited:

1. What is crystallography?

Crystallography is the scientific study of crystals and their atomic and molecular structures. It involves the use of diffraction techniques, such as X-ray crystallography, to determine the arrangement of atoms within a crystal.

2. Who are Ashcroft and Mermin?

David Ashcroft and Neil Mermin are American physicists who co-authored the book "Solid State Physics," which has become a widely-used textbook in the field. The book covers topics such as crystallography, condensed matter physics, and quantum mechanics.

3. What is the importance of crystallography?

Crystallography is important for understanding the properties and behaviors of various materials, such as metals, semiconductors, and biological molecules. It is also used in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and geology to identify and characterize different types of crystals.

4. What is the difference between X-ray crystallography and neutron diffraction?

X-ray crystallography and neutron diffraction are both diffraction techniques used in crystallography, but they use different types of radiation. X-ray crystallography uses X-rays, while neutron diffraction uses neutrons. X-rays are better for studying lighter elements, while neutrons are better for heavier elements and can provide more information about the positions of hydrogen atoms.

5. How is crystallography used in drug discovery?

Crystallography plays a crucial role in drug discovery by allowing scientists to determine the 3-dimensional structure of proteins and other molecules involved in disease processes. This information can then be used to design drugs that target specific binding sites on these molecules, leading to more effective treatments for diseases such as cancer and HIV.