Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crystals Of Inert Gases

1. Dec 28, 2009 #1
    Hello every one :)

Actually i was studying from Charles Kittel ( introduction to solid state physics ) about crystals of inert gases , then i asked my self how could inert gases forms a crystals , i couldn't answer that , and no place to read about it :( .

So can you people help me to find an answer for that ? Thanks in advance .
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Aseel, welcome to PF. The gases need to be frozen so that the atoms can occupy the fixed spots in the crystalline lattice. It's not much different than any other crystal formation, except the temperature is well below 0 K. Does this answer your question?
  4. Dec 29, 2009 #3
    Atoms in inert gasses to experience some attractive forces between them. See for instance Wikipedia's article on the van der Waals force: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Der_Waals_Force
    Attractive forces between noble gas atoms are very weak however, which is why they are all gasses at room temperature.
  5. Dec 29, 2009 #4
    Yes it does answer my Q . Big thanks for you Mapes and Kanato :) .
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook