Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cs-137 as a gamma source

1. Jun 18, 2013 #1
    So I have a bit of a story here. First of all, I work in my university's radiation safety department, where, among other things, I calibrate Geiger Counters. I also passed Modern Physics (Physics III), so I got some education on radioactive decay.

I have an old Counter from 1962, a Victoreen CDV-715, the one from the Civilian Defense boxes, model 1A. I replaced the battery, and it works, but it hasn't been calibrated since 1988. I calibrate meters all the time, but I use Cs-137 sources, in the mCi range, when first installed in 1992. My problem is that this meter requires Gamma sources to calibrated, and Cs-137 only has about 5.6% chance to decay the the meta-stable Ba-137, half-life about 3 minutes. Only in meta-stable Barium will it give off gamma radiation, .992 MeV worth. Does anyone who also deals with this stuff have a thought as to how I might go about using the Cs-137 sources to successfully calibrate this old meter? I can got it working, but wouldn't it be neat to get it FUNCTIONAL? Then when I get my hands on other old meters my office is throwing away, I can fix them as well!

I don't have the exact activity from the 6 sources I use to calibrate meters right now, but I can get all that info tomorrow. I'm just not at work right now. I can get their activity at any date, even in the future, as predicted by their decay models. I have all the formulas about activity and decay rates and distances and the like, I just need someone's input to put all these pieces together.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2013 #2
    Sorry about that

I meant .662 MeV of Gamma decay energy. Mistype. Also, I know that if the counter only picks up Gamma radiation, it won't be affected by the β- decay from the Cs-137, I just want to walk through all this logically before I stick it up on the rolling rack and start shooting rays at it. Also, I do have the manual for it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  4. Jun 18, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Well, the direct gamma emission is easy - there is an equilibrium of Ba-137, so 5.6% of the beta-decays lead to a direct gamma decay. On the other hand, your high-energetic electrons can produce gamma rays, too, so you probably get some background.

Wikipedia has different numbers for the decay probabilities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook