1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CS Major Astronomy Minor

1. May 22, 2013 #1
    One day I aspire to work in the space exploration(or something similar) field using Computer Science skills, and my knowledge in Astronomy. Is this realistic? Or would a minor in Physics be better for trying to achieve the same goal?

I plan to attend the University of Utah if the makes a difference.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2013 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey NickPhysics.

Given your interest in computer science, if I were to give advice I would say to look at embedded systems and possibly consider looking at electrical engineering with a significant programming component since the systems used out in space (for whatever purpose) will be ones that need extremely high fault tolerance specifications at both a hardware and a software level.

You will also want to look at the issues with security clearance and contracting particularly in the defence sector (in addition to the civilian one).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook