• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Programs CS Minor and Robotics Minor

Hey guys I’m interested in working in robotics when I graduate college. I’m currently a junior. My major is mechanical engineering. I’m wondering if getting both a CS minor and a Robotics(this is actually built for mechengi and EE majors at my school so I can do it with some over lap for about only 9 credits extra) minor. Would it be wise to do this? I have an interest in both and doing these minors will require me to do a little less than 30 credit hours which I can do during summer terms and my last 2 terms since they’ll only be 2 course semesters. I am planning on grad school. Will these minors be beneficial for grad school and how will employers view them (i am in my school robotics club as well). Thanks for any advice on this.

berkeman

Mentor
Will these minors be beneficial for grad school
You should probably ask your faculty advisor this question. Are you planning on going to grad school at the same school?
how will employers view them
I don't hire MEs, but I'm much more interested in practical experience than I am in minors at school. Have you done any internships in ME? What kind of summer jobs are you applying for? What projects have you worked on in your Robotics Club?

You should probably ask your faculty advisor this question. Are you planning on going to grad school at the same school?

I don't hire MEs, but I'm much more interested in practical experience than I am in minors at school. Have you done any internships in ME? What kind of summer jobs are you applying for? What projects have you worked on in your Robotics Club?
I just joined robotics this semester as well as joining SAE, as far as SAE goes we’re still doing safety forms and stuff for that but we pretty much work on everything to do with our off road car except we are given a fixed engine that can’t be tuned that puts out 10 horse power. Everything else like the frame is built from scratch and optimized for competition. This is also my first semester in robotics and so far we have built a portable submarine (this was an ice breaker project) and we’re currently working on constructing a holotank. I am definitely more interested in grad school currently so I’m more interested in doing research and group projects than I am for internships because I still have 2ish years left for under grad and then another 2 for grad school so I still have time for internships.