CS Minor vs Math Minor: Which is Best for Graduate Work?

• Programs
  • Thread starter jamalkoiyess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs Minor
In summary, Greg-bot suggests that if you want to do well in graduate school, you should take both math and computer science classes. He also says that you should not worry too much about which minor you choose, as any good undergraduate physics programme will have compulsory maths courses and at least one programming course.
jamalkoiyess
Hello PF,
I have posted lately about this problem I am facing of choosing between the two minors as a physics major, but there is some updates and I need new insight on the subject.
I have been taking an introductory course in computer science that I am really enjoying and getting some good grades in it (I got an 80 where the class average was 45), even better than my major courses on physics. As for the math I am stuck with a C in Calc. 3.
I need to know what minor would help me more in graduate work and in what specific field is one better than the other. Also as I am way better at CS than math is it logical to take the CS minor because I would do great in it, or take the math minor so I can reinforce myself?
If you can suggest other approaches please tell me.
Thanks.

Thank you Greg-bot for the bump. I had meant to reply actually.

This is really oversimplified and possibly wrong, but if you are planning on graduate school you will really want to make sure your math is solid. If not, it may be beneficial (and honestly more enjoyable for you) to take more CS classes and have some of those skills under your belt.

Also, if you're struggling in math, taking more sounds like punishment! Might be better to get a grasp on the math you have to take first before thinking about a minor.

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:
Also, if you're struggling in math, taking more sounds like punishment!
-Dave K

No I am not that bad at it but it was my first semester and everything was a little harsh and different, I did end up with a 92 on my final and an 81 average over the whole course. I am searching only for what would be better for me in graduate studies. Following your advice I shall go for the math option. Thank you.

jamalkoiyess said:
No I am not that bad at it but it was my first semester and everything was a little harsh and different, I did end up with a 92 on my final and an 81 average over the whole course. I am searching only for what would be better for me in graduate studies. Following your advice I shall go for the math option. Thank you.

Nice job on wrapping up the semester! Do what you think is best of course.

-Dave K

Likes jamalkoiyess
jamalkoiyess said:
Hello PF,
I have posted lately about this problem I am facing of choosing between the two minors as a physics major, but there is some updates and I need new insight on the subject.
I have been taking an introductory course in computer science that I am really enjoying and getting some good grades in it (I got an 80 where the class average was 45), even better than my major courses on physics. As for the math I am stuck with a C in Calc. 3.
I need to know what minor would help me more in graduate work and in what specific field is one better than the other. Also as I am way better at CS than math is it logical to take the CS minor because I would do great in it, or take the math minor so I can reinforce myself?
If you can suggest other approaches please tell me.
Thanks.

In an ideal world, you would want to do both minors. Haha.

But, from a practical point of view, you might want to think about what kind of physics you see yourself doing in graduate school. If you want to do string theory, phenomenology or theoretical condensed matter, then I suppose a math minor is better. But then, the amount of math you need for string theory or theoretical condensed matter far exceeds what you'll have in a math minor. We're talking graduate level math courses here.

If you want to do astrophysics, experimental particle physics or theoretical nuclear physics, then programming skills are important. In that case, you would want to do a CS minor.

If I were you, I would not worry too much about which minor to choose. For one thing, any good undergraduate programmes in physics has compulsory maths courses and at least one programming course. Also, you're still a freshman (or perhaps a sophomore) and what you will eventually end up studying in graduate school ( and even if you will go graduate school) is a long way into the future. People change and they change their interests. So, I guess you can't really know for certain now what you will eventually end up studying in graduate school.

The important thing is to get good grades, regarmless of which minor you do, and to do research work every summer. That's what really counts.

Likes jamalkoiyess
jamalkoiyess said:
I am facing of choosing between the two minors as a physics major, but there is some updates and I need new insight on the subject.

It would help advisors if you state your university's requirements for each minor. The requirements for a minor can vary greatly between different schools.

One way to approach the decision is to look at the most disagreeable required courses in each of the minors - which, of course, is a matter of personal preference.

For example a CS minor might (or might not require) theoretical courses like "Analysis of Algorithms", "Compiler Design". It might require web oriented studies like courses emphasizing XML, Java etc. It might require demonstrating proficiency in employable skills such as SQL or programs specific to MS-Windows, such as Excel.

The math minor might require some very abstract math like Real Analysis, Topology, Measure Theory. It might require only topics that have reasonably concrete applications like Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, and Calculus of Variations.

Topics that combine computation with math such as Numerical Analysis might be offered by the math department or the physics department - or you might have to take them in the Engineering School, if your university has one.

Stephen Tashi said:
It would help advisors if you state your university's requirements for each minor. The requirements for a minor can vary greatly between different schools.

For the math minor :
_Calc. 3 *
_differnetial equations *
_linear algebra
_introduction to analysis
And 2 courses of my choice

For the CS minor :
_introduction to programming *
_discrete structures
_intermediate programing with data structures
_algorithms and data structures
And 2 course of my choice

* : already required for the physics major.Also I have these physics course that I must take :
_ Mathematical methods for physics:
Vector analysis, tensors, linear operators, Eigenvalue problems, determinants and matrices ...
_Computational Physics:
Basics of numerical analysis ...

1. What is the main difference between a CS minor and a math minor?

A CS minor focuses on computer science, which involves studying different programming languages, algorithms, and data structures. On the other hand, a math minor focuses on mathematical concepts and theories such as calculus, linear algebra, and statistics.

2. Which minor is more beneficial for graduate work in the field of computer science?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. A CS minor can provide a strong foundation in computer science principles and skills, which are essential for graduate work in this field. However, a math minor can also be beneficial as many computer science concepts are built upon mathematical theories.

3. Are there any specific graduate programs that prefer a CS minor over a math minor?

Some graduate programs may prefer candidates with a CS minor, especially if the program is heavily focused on computer science research or practical application. However, many graduate programs in computer science also accept applicants with a math minor, as mathematical skills are highly valued in this field.

4. Can I pursue a CS minor and a math minor simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to pursue both a CS minor and a math minor simultaneously. However, it may require careful planning and time management to complete both minors within a reasonable timeframe. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to create a plan that works best for your academic goals.

5. Will having a CS minor or a math minor give me an advantage when applying for graduate school?

Having either a CS minor or a math minor can strengthen your graduate school application, as it demonstrates a diverse range of skills and interests. However, it is important to also have a strong overall academic record and relevant experience in the field to increase your chances of being accepted into a graduate program.