Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CS Purposes

1. Jun 3, 2009 #1
    What is your purpose in field of Computer Science ? Do you have any idealistic aims ? As we know it is the one of the leading fields of world in next years, what kind of targets can be constructed to increase your motivation level to work hard ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2
    There are three things in particular that have captivated my interests.

1. Remote rendering (OnLive-type systems)
    2. Virtual environments
    3. Computational neuroscience

I wanted to venture into particle systems and real-time natural lighting right off the bat, but I realize the constraints of processing power even today are too limited for my imagination. However there are plenty of interesting things to do for the time being prior to Exaflop GPUs.

4. Jun 20, 2009 #3
    There are a few areas that captivate me in cs
    1) formal language theory
    2)research in parallel programming structures (data parallelism and threading, distributed)
    3)kernel methods (support vector machines and parallel models of such)
    4) compiler construction

also of interest is parallel implementations of financial models for things like option pricing and pricing derivatives, etc, but this is hardly cs

These are my main interests and the main areas i have been involved in. My favorite is formal language theory because i am originally from a math background.

5. Jun 20, 2009 #4
    Some of my areas of interest...
    (1) Scientific computing
    (2) Graph algorithms
    (3) Real-time and embedded systems
    (4) Computational physics

6. Jun 20, 2009 #5
    1. artificial intelligence (statistics, information theory, neural networks, etc)
    2. computer languages, type theory, formal verification of computer programs
    3. organizing and representing information for human consumption (e.g. diagrams) (perhaps not really a CS topic)
    4. Misc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook