CS Research Lab Job: Find Summer Work as a Junior

In summary, the conversation is about finding a job in a lab for computer science students and the potential to get paid for it. The conversation also mentions how professors often hire undergraduate students for various projects and research. One of the speakers suggests using Google to find more information about GPIB, a type of communication interface used in instrumentation.
adc85
Hey guys,

I'm in Computer Science and was interested in trying out working at a lab (and actually doing programming work). I was wondering where I could find such a job at these days? I'm pretty sure my university only hires grad students for that kind of work if anything. I will be a junior in the fall and am looking for a job like this for the next summer.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
any prof who does 3D or num sims usu looks for undergrads ...the greatest guinea pigs.
My prof used a eleceng student to enhance his 3D virtual reality environment. while a sfwr eng friend worked to develop a system for a psych chair prof. Even physics proffs look for undergrads to work for them(usually for a undergrad tehsis proj)
as for getting paid...don't know they might, my friend was making 20CDN/hr and that eleceng was prolly making 10.

I've had to spend soo much time programming, that I wasted just about all of last year. I would have killed for an expereinced programmer. Do you know about GPIB interface and comm with instruments? I'm sure you could find something.

nbo10 said:
I've had to spend soo much time programming, that I wasted just about all of last year. I would have killed for an expereinced programmer. Do you know about GPIB interface and comm with instruments? I'm sure you could find something.

Nope not familiar. Can you tell me what it is?

Googling can tell you a whole lot more than me. Keywords: GPIB, IEEE 488, IEEE 488.2 and ni.com has some good info.

1. What kind of work can I expect to do as a junior in a CS research lab job?

As a junior in a CS research lab job, you can expect to assist with ongoing research projects, work on your own research project under the guidance of a senior researcher, and participate in lab meetings, discussions, and presentations. You may also have the opportunity to assist in data analysis and experimentation, as well as contribute to writing research papers and proposals.

2. How can I find summer work in a CS research lab as a junior?

You can start by reaching out to professors or researchers in your university who are conducting research in your field of interest. They may have openings for summer research assistants or be able to connect you with other opportunities. You can also check job boards and websites of research institutions or companies that align with your research interests.

3. Do I need previous research experience to apply for a junior CS research lab job?

While previous research experience can be beneficial, it is not always a requirement for a junior CS research lab job. Many research labs offer training and mentorship for junior researchers, so a willingness to learn and a strong interest in the field are often more important factors in the selection process.

4. What skills or qualifications do I need to have for a junior CS research lab job?

In addition to a strong foundation in computer science, some common skills and qualifications that may be required for a junior CS research lab job include programming proficiency in languages such as Python, Java, or C++, experience with data analysis and statistical software, and strong communication and critical thinking skills.

5. Can I earn academic credit for a summer CS research lab job as a junior?

This may vary depending on your university's policies and the specific research lab you are working with. Some universities offer research credits for summer research experiences, while others may require you to enroll in a specific research course. It is best to consult with your academic advisor or the research lab coordinator to determine if academic credit can be earned for your summer CS research lab job.