CSE at 21: Pursuing a Bachelors in the US?

• Courses
  • Thread starter rahaverhma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Cse
In summary: GRE, coursework, internship, etc.)What you want to be and what you are are two different things. What you are is a person with a bachelor's in physics who is "mad about computers". However, based on your degree and exams, you are proficient in computer science and computer engineering. You would need to take additional courses and/or have an internship to demonstrate this level of proficiency.
rahaverhma
Hi, I am from India. I will be getting my honors for Bachelor's degree for physics in a few days. I am 21. As members at this forum are from USA too, so I want to know if I take exams like GRE, IELTS, TOEFL and get admission in USA, just suppose. Then, in any way, would I be able to be the same as in the status of a btech student in computer science engineering after arriving in USA? And how much years would it take to study?
I am mad about computers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You would be a student with a physics background taking computer science courses, I imagine. I think you could self study some programming such as computer simulation and graphics to prepare. These courses would use your strengths in physics and math while you’d be learning the necessary computer science concepts.

I was a Physics BS who went into MS CompSci in the 1980’s. My math skills helped me with computer graphics and computer design the most. Other CS courses are more compsci oriented and my job as a programmer at the time helped me there.

jedishrfu said:
You would be a student with a physics background taking computer science courses, I imagine.
No, sir. I want to be like Alan turing. Physics and mathematics (which already I am with) and computers. It is because I am self-motivated in computers too. I mean, a computer engineer, too.

Employers look at degrees, prior job history and then skills so that what you self study is nice but you defined by your degrees mostly.

rahaverhma said:
No, sir. I want to be like Alan turing. Physics and mathematics (which already I am with) and computers. It is because I am self-motivated in computers too. I mean, a computer engineer, too.
What you want to be and what you are are two different things. What you are is a person with a bachelor's in physics who is "mad about computers".

rahaverhma said:
Hi, I am from India. I will be getting my honors for Bachelor's degree for physics in a few days. I am 21. As members at this forum are from USA too, so I want to know if I take exams like GRE, IELTS, TOEFL and get admission in USA, just suppose. Then, in any way, would I be able to be the same as in the status of a btech student in computer science engineering after arriving in USA? And how much years would it take to study?
I am mad about computers.
<<Emphasis added.>> OK, your degree and these exams can demonstrate your proficiency level in physics (degree and physics GRE); math (math GRE); verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking, and analytical writing skills (general GRE); and English language (IELTS and TOEFL). What demonstrates your proficiency level in computer science and computer engineering?

1. What is "CSE" and what does it stand for?

CSE stands for Computer Science and Engineering, which is a field of study that combines the principles of computer science and engineering to develop computer systems and technology.

2. Why should I pursue a Bachelor's in CSE in the US?

The US is known for its top universities and cutting-edge technology, making it an ideal place to study CSE. Additionally, there are many opportunities for internships and job placements in the tech industry in the US.

3. What are the requirements to pursue a Bachelor's in CSE in the US?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the university, but generally, you will need to have a strong background in math, science, and computer science courses. You will also need to take standardized tests like the SAT or ACT and submit your scores along with your academic transcripts.

4. How long does it take to complete a Bachelor's in CSE in the US?

A Bachelor's in CSE typically takes four years to complete in the US. However, some universities offer accelerated programs that allow students to finish their degree in three years, and others offer co-op programs that may take longer to complete.

5. What career opportunities are available with a Bachelor's in CSE in the US?

With a Bachelor's in CSE, you can pursue various career paths such as software engineer, data analyst, web developer, systems analyst, and many more. The US has a high demand for skilled professionals in the tech industry, so there are many job opportunities available after graduation.