Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CSI Test

1. Jan 21, 2005 #1
    The Phenophthalien(i know i can't speel) test:

This one show they have a dead body, from the desert. They test a bathtub as they think the murder and blood was there. They use the pheno-blood test often.

But if its in the bathtub.

As pheno is just a ph indicator. Couldn't a base cleaner, as most are, change the readings, or make it look like there is blood where there isn't any?

Or is this just a fancy word that they are using for the fictional show and i am just being fanatical?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2005 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am sorry but I could not understand your query fully. Are you asking this? "Can the presence of blood be determined with phenolphthalein, if the victim is in a bathtub?" Well, phenolphthalein may be a fluorescent material, and when mixed with a dried blood sample, it may cause the sample fluorescence; haemoglobin or other things in blood may combine with phenolphthalein to show a fluorescence. This is just a guess, though.

4. Jan 22, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I imagined that phenolphthalein was used as an indicator, since blood is mostly slightly basic.

However, it looks like the pH of human blood is only 7.35, whereas phenolphthalein only changes color at about pH 8. So, I'm not sure how well that would work.

But, as chem_tr said, it may be some fluorescent behavior that is important, rather than the pH. I think I recall seeing detectives (on TV) using a UV lamp to detect blood, but can't remember if the surfaces were treated prior to illumination.(excitation).

5. Jan 22, 2005 #4

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jan 22, 2005 #5
    well i learnt something, yaay.

7. Jan 28, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never expected such a thorough explanation from Court TV, but they've done a nice job of it here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?