Uniform Convergence of Continuous Functions: A Proof?

In summary, the question is whether a sequence of continuous functions tending pointwise to 0 must also converge uniformly on an interval. The Weierstrass approximation theorem may be used to show that this is true for polynomials. However, it is not clear if this result can be extended to all continuous functions. A counterexample is given in the form of a series of triangles, each one smaller than the previous, which ultimately disrupts the uniform convergence on any interval.
simba31415

Homework Statement

As in the question -

Suppose that f_n:[0,1] -> Reals is a sequence of continuous functions tending pointwise to 0. Must there be an interval on which f_n -> 0 uniformly?

I have considered using the Weierstrass approximation theorem here, which states that we can find, for any continuous function [0,1] -> Reals, a uniform approximation by polynomials.

Because of this, it seems to me - though I could be wrong - that these f_n -> 0 uniformly if this series of polynomials (each p_n approximating an f_n to a sufficient degree of accuracy) tends to 0 uniformly - in which case it suffices to prove the result for any series of polynomials.

Even if this deduction -is- correct, which I'm not 100% confident about, I can't seem to follow through and show that there exists such an interval for a polynomial sequence. On the other hand, perhaps there is a counterexample and I'm going about this completely the wrong way! Could anyone lend a hand please?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think this property is false... But my counterexample is a little complicated (or wrong). I'll think of an easier one...

micromass said:
I think this property is false... But my counterexample is a little complicated (or wrong). I'll think of an easier one...

That sounds promising! What were you thinking of? :)

See www.math.ubc.ca/~feldman/m321/dini.pdf at example (c).

So basically, my counterexample consists of a triangle moving to the left.
Of course this has an interval at which the convergence is uniform. So the trick is to add more (smaller) triangles, such that the convergence on any interval is disturbed.

1. What is the definition of uniform convergence of continuous functions?

Uniform convergence of continuous functions is a type of convergence in which the rate of convergence is the same at every point in the domain. In other words, the function converges to the same limit at every point in its domain.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence only requires that the function converges to the same limit at each point in its domain, while uniform convergence requires that the rate of convergence is the same at every point.

3. What is the significance of uniform convergence in analysis?

Uniform convergence is important in analysis because it allows us to interchange the limit and integral operators, which is a crucial tool for solving many problems in mathematics and physics.

4. What is the Weierstrass M-test and how is it used in proving uniform convergence?

The Weierstrass M-test is a tool used to prove uniform convergence of a series of functions. It states that if a series of functions is bounded by a convergent series of constants, then the series of functions converges uniformly.

5. Can a sequence of continuous functions converge uniformly to a non-continuous function?

No, a sequence of continuous functions can only converge uniformly to a continuous function. This is because the uniform limit of continuous functions is always continuous.