Unraveling the Mystery of Cu(en)2 in Chemistry

In summary, (en) stands for ethylene diamine, C2H8N2, and is commonly used in chemical formulas such as [Cu(en)2(H2O)2]2+. It is often confused with ethane-1,2-diamine, also known as ethylenediamine, which has a similar formula. Ethylenediamine is used as a cure for poisonings from heavy metals.
dumbadum
Cu(en)2 ??

I was wondering what the (en) stood for in
[Cu(en)2(H2O)2]2+
I was surfing the web and noticed that it appeared in several articles. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
(en) denotes ethylene diamine, C2H8N2.

t!m said:
(en) denotes ethylene diamine, C2H8N2.
No, ethylene diamime is [tex]\text{C}_2\text{H}_6\text{N}_2[/tex] :wink:
(six not eight, hydrogen atoms)

C2H8N2 is ethane diamine.

Last edited:
No, ethane-1,2-diamine, more commonly known as ethylenediamine, is [tex]\text{C}_2\text{H}_8\text{N}_2[/tex].

[tex]\text{C}_2\text{H}_6\text{N}_2[/tex] is something different.

While I may not know much about chemistry, 99% of the hits I got from google returned the formula- C2H8N2, thereby concurring with t!m.

t!m said:
No, ethane-1,2-diamine, more commonly known as ethylenediamine, is [tex]\text{C}_2\text{H}_8\text{N}_2[/tex].

[tex]\text{C}_2\text{H}_6\text{N}_2[/tex] is something different.

Ahh, so ethylenediamine is ethane-1,2-diamine...yes, in that case, it is [tex]\text{C}_2\text{H}_8\text{N}_2[/tex] :rolleyes:

(Not 1,2-diaminoethylene--i.e., that [itex]\text{C}_2\text{H}_6\text{N}_2[/itex] I mentioned before)

what is more important to know is that en=cure for poisonings from stuff like lead and other heavy metals.

H2N-CH2-CH2-NH2

and everything is clear :)

1. What is Cu(en)2 and why is it considered a mystery in chemistry?

Cu(en)2 is a chemical compound with the formula [Cu(C2H8N2)2]. It is considered a mystery in chemistry because it has unique properties that are not fully understood by scientists. This compound has been studied for decades, but there are still unanswered questions about its structure and behavior.

2. What are the applications of Cu(en)2 in chemistry?

Cu(en)2 has various applications in chemistry, including its use as a catalyst in organic reactions, as a precursor for metal-organic frameworks, and as a potential treatment for cancer. Its unique properties make it a valuable compound for research and practical applications.

3. What makes Cu(en)2 a challenging compound to study?

One of the main challenges in studying Cu(en)2 is its complex structure. It has multiple possible conformations, which makes it difficult to determine its exact shape and properties. In addition, its behavior is highly dependent on its environment, making it challenging to replicate its behavior in laboratory settings.

4. What have scientists discovered about Cu(en)2 so far?

Through years of research, scientists have discovered that Cu(en)2 has unique magnetic and electronic properties, as well as the ability to form stable coordination compounds. They have also determined its crystal structure and explored its potential applications in various fields of chemistry.

5. What future research is needed to unravel the mystery of Cu(en)2?

To fully understand Cu(en)2, further research is needed in areas such as its reactivity, electronic structure, and potential applications. Scientists also need to continue studying its behavior in different environments and under different conditions to gain a comprehensive understanding of this complex compound.