Which metal deposits first: Cu or Ni?

• Thread starter floydnfish
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of electrodepositing Cu-Ni alloy and the factors that affect the deposition, such as the reduction potential and electrolyte concentration. The individual reduction potentials for Cu and Ni are mentioned, as well as the desired cell voltage and the difficulties in depositing an alloy with the given electrolyte concentration. The speaker is looking for suggestions and references to successfully deposit Cu-Ni alloy pillars and mentions a literature reference on electrodeposition of composite coatings.
floydnfish
So, I'm trying to electrodeposit Cu-Ni alloy. Cu being more nobel than Ni as seen from the EMF series. My simple question is that which of the two will have more tendency to electro deposit first. And, how can I control the amount of Cu-Ni composition in my deposits. I have a common bath of electrolyte containing both Cu-Ni ions.

Thanks, will be waiting for a response.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. Sorry about the delay.

Write out the half cell equations and work out the potential required to deposit Cu or Ni.
What are those voltages and how different are they ?

The cell voltage will need to be sufficient to deposit both elements.
An alloy will be difficult to deposit unless you carefully control the concentration of the electrolyte.

Thanks for your reply Baluncore.

So the reduction potential for Cu is 0.34, and that for Ni is -0.25.
I'm keeping my cell voltage at 5V for my experiments. And the electrolyte concentration anywhere from excess of Ni sulphate, some amount of Cu sulphate and Na citrate less than the total Cu+Ni amount. These are the kind of electrolyte concentration popular in the literature. But, I've failed to deposit considerable amount of Cu-Ni alloy with the above mentioned voltage and electrolyte recipe. I'm trying to deposit pillar structures, but all I get is a minor small spot and some amount of electroplating involved. It'd be a great leap for me to be able to figure out the right electrolytic concentration and get a pillar deposit. It would be good if you can suggest me more. Thanks.

floydnfish said:
These are the kind of electrolyte concentration popular in the literature.
Can you give me a list of references to your relevant literature. Which references describe Cu-Ni alloy pillars?

Can you say why you want Cu-Ni pillars? What dimension pillars do you need? What is the deposition substrate? Do you have references from literature that give current density, electrode geometry and the dimensions needed?

Have you seen this open access paper on "Electrodeposition of Cu–Ni Composite Coatings". It is chapter 5 of "Electrodeposition of Composite Materials", 2016, Edited by Adel M. A. Mohamed and Teresa D. Golden.
https://www.intechopen.com/books/el...electrodeposition-of-cu-ni-composite-coatings

1. What factors determine which metal deposits first?

The most important factor in determining which metal deposits first is the relative reactivity of the two metals. Generally, the more reactive metal will deposit first.

2. Is there a specific order in which metals deposit?

Yes, there is a general order in which metals deposit. This is known as the reactivity series, with the most reactive metals (such as potassium and sodium) depositing first and the least reactive metals (such as gold and platinum) depositing last.

3. Does temperature affect which metal deposits first?

Yes, temperature can affect the rate of metal deposition. Generally, higher temperatures increase the rate of deposition for both copper and nickel, but the relative reactivity between the two metals remains the same.

4. Are there any other factors that can influence metal deposition?

Yes, there are other factors that can influence metal deposition, such as the concentration of the metal ions in the solution and the presence of any other substances that may interfere with the deposition process.

5. Can the order of metal deposition change under certain conditions?

Yes, in some cases, the order of metal deposition can change under certain conditions. For example, if the solution becomes more acidic, nickel may deposit before copper, even though nickel is generally less reactive than copper.