Expressing Cube Roots Using Exponential Form e^{i\theta}

In summary, the conversation is about using the exponential form e^{i \theta} to express the three cube roots of (a) 1, (b) i, and (c) -i. The method for finding the cube roots involves using the formula 1 = e^{2\pi i n} where n is an integer. By plugging in different values of n, we can find the three unique cube roots of 1. The conversation also touches on DeMoivre's formula, which states that (re^{i\theta})^n = r^n e^{ni\theta}, and is useful for finding roots of complex numbers when n is a fraction.
LocationX
I am asked to use the exponential form [tex]e^{i \theta}[/tex] to express the three cube roots of:

(a) 1
(b) i
(c) -i

what exactly does this question mean? I am really lost as to what they are asking for.

here is a stab at it:
(a)

cube root of 1 is 1... so... would that mean... [tex]1=e^{- \infty +i \theta[/tex]

(b)

cube root of i is [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+0.5i[/tex] so... [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+0.5i=e^{i \frac{\pi}{6}}[/tex]

(c)

cube root of -i is [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}-0.5i[/tex] so... [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}-0.5i=e^{-i \frac{\pi}{6}}[/tex]

is this the right way to approch this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: [itex]1 = e^{2\pi i n}[/itex] where n is an integer. Therefore, [itex]1^{1/3} = [/itex] ? :)

[itex]1^{1/3} =1= e^{2\pi i}[/itex] where n=1?

[tex]1 = e^{2\pi i n}[/tex] for n=0,1,2,...
[tex]1^{\frac{1}{3}} = \left( e^{2\pi i n}\right) ^{\frac{1}{3}}=e^{\frac{2\pi i n}{3}} [/tex] for n=0,1,2,...

and since there are only 3 unique cube roots of 1, just put n=0,1,2.

So [tex]1^{\frac{1}{3}} =e^{0}, e^{\frac{2\pi i }{3}},e^{\frac{4\pi i }{3}} [/tex]

did I do (b) and (c) correct?

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+0.5i=e^{i \frac{\pi}{6}}=e^{i \frac{2 \pi}{6}}=e^{i \frac{4\pi}{6}}[/tex]

something like that?

for b, I got a slightly different answer.
[tex]z^3 = i[/tex]
[tex] \therefore z = -sin(\frac{2n\pi}{3}) + icos(\frac{2n\pi}{3}) [/tex]
Where n = 0,1 or 2. Put the values of n in, and you will get an answer very close to what you got, but, that's assuming that I'm right (which isn't always the case!)

You can always check what you get by cubing the complex numbers that you think the answer is. In the case of b, it should give you i.

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]-sin(\frac{2n\pi}{3}) + icos(\frac{2n\pi}{3})=- (i^{1/3}) [/tex]

isnt it?

Just for kicks, you might try setting

[tex]i^{1/3} = x + i y[/tex]

then cube both sides and solve for x and y. :)

for (b), when I cube [tex]e^{i \frac{\pi}{6}}[/tex] i get [tex]i[/tex]
for c, when I cube [tex]e^{-i \frac{\pi}{6}}[/tex] i get [tex]-i[/tex]

I tried to cube x+iy but sadly, I don't know how to multiply [tex](x^2+2ixy-y^2)(x+iy)[/tex]

Do you know DeMoivre's formula? You certainly should if you are expected to do a problem like this.

nope, never heard of it. this is a challenge my teacher gave us, that's all

DeMoivre's formula says that simply that [itex](re^{i\theta})^n = r^n e^{ni\theta}[/itex] which is obvious in exponential form! If n is a fraction, such as 1/3 then rn is the principle root.
1 can be written as [itex]1e^{0i}[/itex] or [itex]1e^{2\pi i}[/itex] or [itex]1e^{4\pi i}[/itex]. Those clearly give the same thing but multiplying those exponents by 1/3 does not!

1. What is the exponential form of expressing cube roots?

The exponential form of expressing cube roots is e^{i\theta}, where e is the base of the natural logarithm and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How is the exponential form of expressing cube roots related to trigonometric functions?

The exponential form e^{i\theta} is closely related to trigonometric functions, as it can be expressed as cos\theta + i sin\theta using Euler's formula. This relationship allows us to use trigonometric identities to simplify and manipulate expressions involving cube roots expressed in exponential form.

3. Can you give an example of expressing a cube root using exponential form?

Sure, for example, the cube root of 8 can be expressed as 8^{1/3} = (e^{i0})^{1/3} = e^{i0/3} = e^{i0} = 1. This means that the cube root of 8 can be represented on the complex plane as a point with a magnitude of 1 and an angle of 0 degrees.

4. How is the exponential form of expressing cube roots useful in mathematics?

The exponential form of expressing cube roots is useful in simplifying and manipulating complex expressions, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It also allows for a more compact and elegant representation of complex numbers.

5. Can the exponential form of expressing cube roots be extended to other roots?

Yes, the exponential form e^{i\theta} can be extended to express any nth root, where n is a positive integer, as e^{i\theta/n}. This is because the exponential function is periodic with a period of 2\pi, and raising it to the power of 1/n results in n distinct values.