Could a Cubic Block Stop the BP Spill?

In summary: A well you go to the bathroom in? :rofl:May all be moot, relief well has 900 feet left to go, drilling at about 60-70 feet per day at that depth.
cph
CUBIC BLOCK

Make 10 ft sided cubic block (1000 cu ft) of concrete, rebar, and sand, on a barge. Then use 2 barges and pulleys perhaps to drop such block 2000 ft (10 secs?), which might penetrate 100 ft(?) into muck. Drop it slightly off target, so that sub-mud surface conduit collapses shut. Water is non-compressible fluid, whereas gas in conduit is a compressible fluid. So the cubic block would push muck over into conduit, collapsing it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
cph said:
CUBIC BLOCK

Make 10 ft sided cubic block (1000 cu ft) of concrete, rebar, and sand, on a barge. Then use 2 barges and pulleys perhaps to drop such block 2000 ft (10 secs?), which might penetrate 100 ft(?) into muck. Drop it slightly off target, so that sub-mud surface conduit collapses shut. Water is non-compressible fluid, whereas gas in conduit is a compressible fluid. So the cubic block would push muck over into conduit, collapsing it.

What the heck is 'muck'?

CS

20081116210605-muk.gif
Also, there's a thread on fixing the gulf oil spill problem already:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=405948&page=10

perhaps cement encasements of the base of oil rig posts (at 20 ft), useful for stability for hurricane season, would also push the water loaded sediments in part towards the collapsible gas conduit.

stewartcs said:
What the heck is 'muck'?

CS

My educated guess is probably seabed.

Quite frankly, I'm all for some type of "brute force" containment method to stop this leak, since the other technologies appear to be ineffective.
However, I would go greater than a 1000 cubic foot drop seal. Maybe 10,000.
I don't know. Whatever it takes!

Something I think would work, is drilling another intersecting well. Cap that so you can effectively collect all the oil from it. By forcibly sucking oil through the bypass that will reduce the pressure on the main well, and make it easier to close. All you need is to drop a giant concrete cap on it and bolt it to the seabed, or something like that.

Lancelot59 said:
Something I think would work, is drilling another intersecting well. Cap that so you can effectively collect all the oil from it. By forcibly sucking oil through the bypass that will reduce the pressure on the main well, and make it easier to close. All you need is to drop a giant concrete cap on it and bolt it to the seabed, or something like that.

What do you think a relief well is? :tongue2:

xxChrisxx said:
What do you think a relief well is? :tongue2:
A well you go to the bathroom in? :rofl:

1. How does the cubic block work to clean up the BP oil spill?

The cubic block is designed to absorb and contain oil from the BP spill. It is made of a special material that attracts and binds to the oil, preventing it from spreading further.

2. How large is the cubic block and how much oil can it contain?

The cubic block is approximately 1 cubic foot in size and can absorb up to 10 gallons of oil. Multiple blocks can be used to cover a larger area and contain more oil.

3. What happens to the cubic block after it has absorbed the oil?

Once the cubic block has absorbed the oil, it can be easily removed from the water and disposed of properly. The absorbed oil can also be extracted from the block for reuse or proper disposal.

4. How long does the cubic block last and how often does it need to be replaced?

The cubic block is designed to last for several weeks in the water, depending on the level of oil in the area. However, it is recommended to replace the block every 2-3 days for optimal effectiveness.

5. Is the cubic block safe for marine life?

Yes, the cubic block is non-toxic and safe for marine life. It does not release any harmful chemicals into the water and can actually help protect marine animals by containing the oil and preventing it from spreading.