Conditions for Cubic Equation to Represent Curve

In summary, for the given cubic equation y = (x+5)(ax^2 + bx - 2), the conditions for the equation to represent the attached curve are a > 0, and b^2 > -8a. The discriminant, b^2 - 4ac, must also be greater than zero for two real, distinct roots.
elitewarr

Homework Statement

2) Given a cubic equation y = (x+5)(ax^2 + bx - 2). Give conditions on a and b for the equation to represent the following curve. The curve is attached to the email.
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8246/question2o.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a>0.
Since there are 3 intersections with the x-axis, then for (ax^2 + bx - 2), b^2 - 4ac > 0.
b^2 - 4(a)(-2) > 0
b^2 + 8a > 0
b^2 > -8a

If i differentiate it, I get
3ax^2 + 2bx + 10ax + 5b - 2
Since there are 2 stationary points,
B^2 - 4ac = (2b + 10a)^2 - 4(3a)(5b-2) > 0
b^2 - 5ab + 25a^2 + 6a > 0
and I'm stucked again.
Which approach is correct?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
elitewarr said:

Homework Statement

2) Given a cubic equation y = (x+5)(ax^2 + bx - 2). Give conditions on a and b for the equation to represent the following curve. The curve is attached to the email.
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8246/question2o.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a>0.
Since there are 3 intersections with the x-axis, then for (ax^2 + bx - 2), b^2 - 4ac > 0.
b^2 - 4(a)(-2) > 0
b^2 + 8a > 0
b^2 > -8a
It seems to me that you are just about finished here. As you already said, a > 0, which you can tell from the behavior of the graph for very negative or very positive x.

The inequality b2 > -8a is true for all real b, as long as a > 0. You were finding conditions on the discriminant so that there would be two real, distinct roots. If the discriminant had been equal to zero, there would have been a repeated root.
elitewarr said:
If i differentiate it, I get
3ax^2 + 2bx + 10ax + 5b - 2
Since there are 2 stationary points,
B^2 - 4ac = (2b + 10a)^2 - 4(3a)(5b-2) > 0
b^2 - 5ab + 25a^2 + 6a > 0
and I'm stucked again.
Which approach is correct?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
eh.. Why did I never thought of that?? Thank you! Haha.

1. What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is a variable. It is called a cubic equation because the highest degree of the variable x is 3.

2. What is the significance of a cubic equation in representing a curve?

A cubic equation is important in representing a curve because it can accurately describe the shape of many real-life curves, such as parabolas, hyperbolas, and more complex curves. This makes it a useful tool in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are the conditions for a cubic equation to represent a curve?

The conditions for a cubic equation to represent a curve are that it must have a non-zero coefficient for the x^3 term (a ≠ 0), and the coefficients of the x^2, x, and constant terms (b, c, and d) cannot all be zero at the same time.

4. Can any cubic equation represent a curve?

No, not all cubic equations can represent a curve. As mentioned in the previous question, the coefficients of the x^2, x, and constant terms must satisfy certain conditions for the equation to represent a curve. Additionally, the curve may not be a function if the equation has multiple solutions for a given x-value.

5. How can I determine if a given cubic equation represents a curve?

To determine if a given cubic equation represents a curve, you can check if the conditions for a cubic equation are met (non-zero coefficient for x^3 term and not all coefficients of x^2, x, and constant terms are zero). Additionally, you can graph the equation and see if it forms a curve. If the equation does not satisfy the conditions or does not form a curve, then it does not represent a curve.