Finding Solutions to a Cubic Equation with Multiple Roots

• Thread starter Big-Daddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
In summary: There should be a root of the order of 10^-3, but it is not possible to find it using the Newton-Rhapson algorithm due to the root having a derivative of zero. Other methods, such as the rational root theorem, can be used to find the solution. It is also possible to transform the equation to find a double root at x = 2 x 10^-3.
Big-Daddy
I'm finding it hard to find the solutions to this cubic equation:

1/2 x^3 - 2.025647693*10^14 x^2 + 8.102590772*10^11 x - 8.102590772*10^8 = 0

I'm looking for the smallest real positive solution but no matter what solver I use I keep getting only one root (the one of order of magnitude 10^14). There should be a root of the order of 10-3 but I don't know how to find it, nor why my usually trusty solvers are giving only 1 root.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are probably using the Newton-Rhapson algorithm. This algorithm is used to solve ##f(x)=0## for various functions. It works by taking an initial guess and then recursively refine the guess.

Not all guesses work however. So the question is to find out what the best guess is and whether there are good guesses at all!

We have the following: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton-Rhapson#Analysis

So if ##\alpha## is your root and if ##f^\prime(\alpha)## is nonzero, then there are good initial guesses. However, this is exactly what goes wrong here! The root ##\alpha## that you seek does have ##f^\prime(\alpha)=0##. This is why no initial guess will work and why you didn't find the solution.

There are other ways to find the solution though. It is hardly practical in many cases, but the rational root theorem works here. Either way, wolfram alpha could find the root: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...x^2+++8.102590772*10^11+x+-+8.102590772*10^8+
and it's a very pretty root too!

^Yes
one thing you can do without changing to a different method is to solve
f'(x)=0
3/2 x^2 - 2*2.025647693*10^14 x + 8.102590772*10^11 = 0
if f'(x)=0 and f(x)=0 then x is a double root of f

If you substitute x = 10-3y into the equation, you get:

y2-4y+4 = 0. This neglects the cubic term, which is going to be minute compared to the other terms. So there is a double root at y = 2, or, equivalently, at x = 2 x 10-3.

Chet

I would recommend approaching this problem by first simplifying the equation and then using various methods such as factoring, the rational root theorem, or the cubic formula to find the solutions. It is also important to check for any errors in the input of the equation or the use of the solvers. Additionally, it may be helpful to plot the equation and visually identify any potential solutions. If all else fails, consulting with a colleague or seeking assistance from a mathematics expert may provide further insight and solutions to the problem.

1. What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable. It is called a cubic equation because the highest power of x is 3.

2. How many solutions can a cubic equation have?

A cubic equation can have either one, two, or three real solutions. It can also have one complex solution, but this is less common.

3. How do you solve a cubic equation?

There are several methods for solving a cubic equation, including the rational root theorem, synthetic division, and the formula for finding roots of a cubic equation. The most commonly used method is the formula, which involves finding the roots using the coefficients of the equation.

4. Can all cubic equations be solved?

Yes, all cubic equations can be solved using one of the methods mentioned above. However, some equations may have complex solutions, which may not be desired in certain applications.

5. What are the applications of cubic equations?

Cubic equations have many applications in mathematics, science, and engineering. They can be used to model real-world situations, such as population growth, projectile motion, and chemical reactions. They are also used in computer graphics and in cryptography for secure data encryption.