What is the radius of the spherical air bubble before it reaches the surface?

In summary, the problem involves a spherical air bubble at the bottom of a lake with a radius of 1mm and a temperature of 4.0 degrees celsius. The bubble rises to the surface, where the temperature is 27 degrees celsius and the atmospheric pressure is 1030 mbar. The task is to find the radius of the bubble just before it reaches the surface, neglecting surface tension. The approach would be to use the ideal gas equation to solve for the volume of the bubble and then use the volume of a sphere formula to find the radius. The conversion factor for millibars to SI pressure units is needed, and the 10m depth figure will be used to find the pressure difference between the two locations
steve12

Homework Statement

Hi,i came across this problem in a past exam paper and i got a bit stuck on it,can anyone enlighten me please?im prob just missing something really obvious and basic...

A spherical air bubble at the bottom of a lake,10m below the surface,has a radius of 1mm. The temperature at the bottom of the lake is 4.0degrees celsius. The bubble gets dislodged and rises slowly to the surface,where the temperature is 27degrees celsius.if the atmospheric pressure is 1030 mbar,what is the radius of the bubble just before it reaches the surface?(neglect surface tension)

Homework Equations

i really don't know...

The Attempt at a Solution

my first problem is that i don't know the conversion factor for millibars to an SI pressure unit,or if i even need to convert the pressure value to SI units?

could i possibly use ratios to solve for the volume of the bigger bubble,such as the ideal gas equation: P1*V1/T1= P2*V2/T2?
and then use the volume of a sphere formula to solve for the radius?

although i don't think this approach is right as i would not be making use of the ten metre figure??any ideas or hints would be fantastic,as they don't give solutions at the back of the papers,just answers,which arent really that much use to me... thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is generally correct. You would be making use of the 10 meters in finding the pressure difference between the two locations. 1 bar is 10^5 Pa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure

thanks for that-much appreciated!:biggrin:

1. What is cubic expansion?

Cubic expansion refers to the increase in volume of a substance when it is heated or undergoes a change in temperature. It is also known as thermal expansion.

2. What causes cubic expansion?

Cubic expansion is caused by the increase in kinetic energy of particles within a substance when it is heated. This increase in energy causes the particles to vibrate and take up more space, resulting in an expansion of the substance.

3. How is cubic expansion measured?

Cubic expansion is typically measured using a coefficient of thermal expansion, which is a measure of the change in volume per unit change in temperature. This coefficient varies for different substances and can be found in reference tables.

4. What are some real-world applications of cubic expansion?

Cubic expansion is an important concept in fields such as engineering and construction, as it can affect the size and stability of structures when exposed to temperature changes. It is also important in fields such as thermodynamics and materials science.

5. Can cubic expansion be prevented?

In most cases, cubic expansion cannot be prevented, but it can be controlled or compensated for in some situations. For example, materials with lower coefficients of thermal expansion can be used in construction to minimize the effects of temperature changes. In other cases, compensating mechanisms such as expansion joints can be used to allow for expansion without damaging structures.