Cubic Function Help Homework Statement

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of a cubic function and evaluating h(3)-h(1). The data given does not fit exactly to a third order polynomial and there is some inconsistency. The final equation derived is 1x^3+2x^2-4x+8.
JazzMasterKC

Homework Statement

A table is given:
x | -2 | -1 | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3
h(x) | 0 | 9 | y | 3 | 0 | 6

Well actually the h(x) line was based on a graph that we had to look at, it should be right. I discovered y = 8 (the graph increments by 3 on y-axis and 1 on x axis, so I couldn't tell what y was)
so d = 8, b = -2
This graph is a cubic function, so I'm using ax^3+bx^2+cx+d formula
I got c=-8 and a=2

The first question that I got was to fill the h(x) part of table (thats all the direction I had)
Then the second part of the question was to figure h(3)-h(1).. ok yeah no problem easy enough..
However here is the catch.. using the found equation from my data.. well first this is what it is:
y=2x^3-2x^2-8x+8
.. so anyways I graphed in calculator and when I look at the table I noticed for x=-1 y=12.. which from viewing the graph its obvious that is false, The highest point on y-axis appears to be 10 at most from looking at graph... This has thrown me off and I'm not sure what to do now.. its clear I screwed up some where.

Homework Equations

my results for equation (wrong) y=2x^3-2x^2-8x+8
cubic form: ax^3+bx^2+cx+d
Here are the four equations I derived out of the data to get what I thought was my answer..
-8a+4b-2c+d=0
-a+b-c+0=9
a+b+c+d=3
8a+4b+2c+d=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I wish to evaluate h(3)-h(1) but I've noticed some errors with what I did in part 1 of the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
JazzMasterKC said:
-a+b-c+0=9
Check that one again.

JazzMasterKC said:

Homework Statement

A table is given:
x | -2 | -1 | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3
h(x) | 0 | 9 | y | 3 | 0 | 6

Well actually the h(x) line was based on a graph that we had to look at, it should be right. I discovered y = 8 (the graph increments by 3 on y-axis and 1 on x axis, so I couldn't tell what y was)
so d = 8, b = -2
This graph is a cubic function, so I'm using ax^3+bx^2+cx+d formula
I got c=-8 and a=2

The first question that I got was to fill the h(x) part of table (thats all the direction I had)
Then the second part of the question was to figure h(3)-h(1).. ok yeah no problem easy enough..
However here is the catch.. using the found equation from my data.. well first this is what it is:
y=2x^3-2x^2-8x+8
.. so anyways I graphed in calculator and when I look at the table I noticed for x=-1 y=12.. which from viewing the graph its obvious that is false, The highest point on y-axis appears to be 10 at most from looking at graph... This has thrown me off and I'm not sure what to do now.. its clear I screwed up some where.

Homework Equations

my results for equation (wrong) y=2x^3-2x^2-8x+8
cubic form: ax^3+bx^2+cx+d
Here are the four equations I derived out of the data to get what I thought was my answer..
-8a+4b-2c+d=0
-a+b-c+0=9
a+b+c+d=3
8a+4b+2c+d=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I wish to evaluate h(3)-h(1) but I've noticed some errors with what I did in part 1 of the question.

There is a bit of inconsistency in your data. You get three slightly different cubic fits if you use x=(-2,-1,1,2) vs. x = (-2,-1,2,3) vs. x = (-2,1,2,3). These will give three slightly different values for h(0); I get h(0) = 8, 7.8 and 8.4, respectively.

Last edited:
Your data do not fit exactly to a third order polynomial. If the data were read from a graph, try to read more accurately.

ehild

thanks, though I can't stand these problems that are based from looking at a graph -_-
I ended up finding that 1x^3+2x^2-4x+8 (I think, just pullin from memory) fit exactly how it should with the exception x=3 y=5 looking a little sketchy from the graph, it looks like y=6 there to me... oh well this should suffice.

JazzMasterKC said:
I ended up finding that 1x^3+2x^2-4x+8
1x^3-2x^2-4x+8

Yep that's what I had sorry.

1. What is a cubic function?

A cubic function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable. It is characterized by its degree, which is the highest power of x in the function.

2. How do I graph a cubic function?

To graph a cubic function, you will need to plot points on a coordinate plane using the x and y values. You can choose different values for x, plug them into the function to find the corresponding y values, and then plot the points. You can also use the shape of the function to help you plot the points.

3. What is the relationship between the roots and the graph of a cubic function?

The roots, or solutions, of a cubic function are the x values where the graph intersects the x-axis. The number of roots a cubic function has depends on its degree. A cubic function may have up to three real roots, but it may also have no real roots or only one real root.

4. How do I find the x-intercepts of a cubic function?

The x-intercepts, or roots, of a cubic function can be found by setting the function equal to zero and solving for x. This can be done by factoring, using the quadratic formula, or using other methods such as synthetic division or the rational root theorem.

5. What are some real-life applications of cubic functions?

Cubic functions are commonly used in physics and engineering to model relationships between variables. For example, they can be used to describe the motion of a falling object or the growth of a population over time. They are also used in economics to model supply and demand, and in chemistry to describe the rate of a chemical reaction.