1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cubic Function Help

1. Jun 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A table is given:
    x | -2 | -1 | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3
    h(x) | 0 | 9 | y | 3 | 0 | 6

Well actually the h(x) line was based on a graph that we had to look at, it should be right. I discovered y = 8 (the graph increments by 3 on y axis and 1 on x axis, so I couldn't tell what y was)
    so d = 8, b = -2
    This graph is a cubic function, so I'm using ax^3+bx^2+cx+d formula
    I got c=-8 and a=2

The first question that I got was to fill the h(x) part of table (thats all the direction I had)
    Then the second part of the question was to figure h(3)-h(1).. ok yeah no problem easy enough..
    However here is the catch.. using the found equation from my data.. well first this is what it is:
    y=2x^3-2x^2-8x+8
    .. so anyways I graphed in calculator and when I look at the table I noticed for x=-1 y=12.. which from viewing the graph its obvious that is false, The highest point on y axis appears to be 10 at most from looking at graph... This has thrown me off and I'm not sure what to do now.. its clear I screwed up some where.

2. Relevant equations
    my results for equation (wrong) y=2x^3-2x^2-8x+8
    cubic form: ax^3+bx^2+cx+d
    Here are the four equations I derived out of the data to get what I thought was my answer..
    -8a+4b-2c+d=0
    -a+b-c+0=9
    a+b+c+d=3
    8a+4b+2c+d=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wish to evaluate h(3)-h(1) but I've noticed some errors with what I did in part 1 of the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Check that one again.

4. Jun 10, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a bit of inconsistency in your data. You get three slightly different cubic fits if you use x=(-2,-1,1,2) vs. x = (-2,-1,2,3) vs. x = (-2,1,2,3). These will give three slightly different values for h(0); I get h(0) = 8, 7.8 and 8.4, respectively.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  5. Jun 10, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your data do not fit exactly to a third order polynomial. If the data were read from a graph, try to read more accurately.

ehild

6. Jun 10, 2013 #5
    thanks, though I can't stand these problems that are based from looking at a graph -_-
    I ended up finding that 1x^3+2x^2-4x+8 (I think, just pullin from memory) fit exactly how it should with the exception x=3 y=5 looking a little sketchy from the graph, it looks like y=6 there to me... oh well this should suffice.

7. Jun 10, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

1x^3-2x^2-4x+8

8. Jun 10, 2013 #7
    Yep thats what I had sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted